This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.
Yes, you read the title correctly, “Hopelessly Devoted” referring to the beautiful and angelic voice of Olivia Newton-John as Sandy in one of our favorite films Grease. Much like Sandy, I am sure there are a handful of us out there who are hopelessly devoted to someone. Whether it’s Mr. Tall, Dark, and Handsome or the guy you met in the Starbucks line 3 years ago when he accidently grabbed your trenta iced coffee and your eyes locked with one another. Let us get out of that daydream and back up to Sandy’s soliloquy with the lyrics of  “My eyes are not the first to cry, I’m not the first to know there’s, Just no getting over you”.

Sandy we TOTALLY feel you on that one. Being wrapped up in the idea of not getting over someone can be quite difficult. Being hopelessly devoted in the ideal of potential is even more devastating! For those of you who have seen Grease, you know the story of how she got to this point. She met Danny and had a summer romance, and then when she got back to school, he treated her so poorly. It broke her heart. While yes, we followed their story and they occasionally ran into each other here and there, it was never the same as the summer before.

Although this story is all fiction, this happens nowadays too. We miss those everyday texts, countless FaceTime calls, and ideally the check mark to everything we could possibly want in a significant other. 

Being hopelessly devoted in potential is not necessarily a bad thing, I mean after all, Sandy and Danny did end up together, but respectfully ladies, make sure you’re not too wrapped up in potential rather than seeing the actions that are being shown now, here, and in the present.

Understanding that people develop and mature throughout their lives, and feelings can change from one day to another, is something that should be highly considered. Yes, you may communicate here and there and he still does a few of the things that you initially fell for, but there is still something missing. Much like Sandy says “My head is saying fool forget him, My heart is saying don’t let go”.

Emotionally you can be devoted to this person, but you have to understand that your feelings towards them should not emotionally taunt you. Being wrapped up in potential essentially is not fair to both parties. 

Beginning with you, while he’s just about everything you could wish for in a guy (of course not perfect) there’s still something missing.

On his part, being wrapped up in his potential could possibly be a change of heart, or to be frank, something going on in his life that he hasn’t discussed with you about, and probably won’t. 

This isn’t to say that things would never workout, but again do not get too wrapped up in the ideal of potential to whereas you don’t see the signs of the person who they are now opposed to then. Also, if you do find yourself in this situation don’t loose hope, if it’s meant to be then its meant to be. I hate to be cheesy but true love always finds its way. And if it doesn’t, I promise it’s not the end of the world, it’s just another stepping stone to finding the one who’s meant for you! 

Until then collegiettes, stay strong and a hopeless romantic, I promise your very own Prince Charming is out there!

Follow La’Rae on Instagram!
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.