Her Story: I Realized College Relationships Aren’t So Scary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Relationships are tough enough as it is. But, relationships in college are even tougher. Between tests, friends, homesickness, homework and a relationship, things can get a little stressful. 

People tend to have mixed emotions about settling down with someone during their college years because it’s a time to find yourself and focus on what you want out of life. Personally, I had a lot of mixed feelings about dating in college. But, I put away all of my fears when I found the right person, and you should do the same. 

Most people feel like dating someone in college is not worth all of that stress or time and effort that is needed in a relationship, and some people just simply choose to be independent.  

My case is a little different.

When I began my first semester of college, I swore to myself that I would not get involved in dating and up until recently, I had kept my word.

My current boyfriend and I had been best friends for a while and therefore that was all I ever saw him as–my best friend. I never in a million years thought that I would grow to have feelings for him, so when I did, I freaked out.

He was my best friend and I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t want to ruin our friendship, and I didn’t want to date anyone because I felt like it would be a huge distraction. But, as time went on, I  couldn’t hold back my feelings. So I admitted to myself that I liked him and soon enough, I had a rather interesting night where I felt like getting everything off of my chest.

I told my best friend my intentions and she told me to just go for it, but I was extremely nervous. I didn’t know if I was doing the right thing. As cliche as it is, my mind was telling me one thing and my heart was telling me another. I kept second guessing everything.

But once I admitted my feelings for him, it turned out to be the best thing that had ever happened to me. We took it slowly, careful to not ruin our friendship and recently we became an official couple. Being in a relationship has helped me in ways that I never would have expected. 

He has helped my branch out of my shell, and experience new things. He keeps me motivated to do well in my classes, and if I need help in any way, he’s there for me. He has kept me sane in moments of dire stress and he has helped me when I’ve wanted to just give up.

I used to go out every weekend, and he has taught me that going out isn’t always the only way to have fun, and that there is fun in even the simplest things. He’s keeps me grounded, and I can’t imagine what it would be like if I never admitted my feelings.

I always saw college relationships as being something that would unfortunately not work out, but now that I am in one, my perspective on this issue has changed. He is not a distraction and he doesn’t cause drama–he is my best friend and now my boyfriend. 

We have helped each other get through weeks filled with heinous assignments. We have been there to pick each other up when we’re down, and make each other laugh.

Dating in college is not always a terrible thing, so to those who think that it is, try to be more open to the idea of dating throughout this time. Sometimes you need someone to be there for you and to help guide you along the way.

So my advice to you is that if it happens, let it happen! Don’t be afraid to branch out…just go for it. I promise, it can be one of the best decisions of your life.

All you have to do is give love a chance.

Itzel Lara

Winthrop '20

Itzel Lara is a junior Social Studies Education major at Winthrop! She has hopes of becoming a high school teacher, and work her way up to teaching at a university! She has been a staff writer for Her Campus Winthrop for 3 years! One of the many reasons why Itzel loves Her Campus is because of the love that everyone has for one another – Her Campus has been a home away from home for her. She is originally from Los Angeles, California and relocated to South Carolina to continue her education. She is absolutely obsessed with giraffes! She loves exploring new places - especially waterfalls! If she's not binge watching something on Netflix then she's probably napping or hanging out with her dog, Jasper! Follow her on instagram (@ItzelCeleste_)! 
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.