Hannah Hustad: Winthrop’s Very Own Elle Woods

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Running February 17-21st, Winthrop’s Department of Theatre and Dance is putting on Legally Blonde: The Musical in Johnson Hall. After performing her whole life, the show’s star Hannah Hustad couldn’t have been more excited that she was cast as the main lead Elle Woods. Check out our interview with Hustad below!

What was your reaction when you found out you were playing Elle?

I was SO excited when I found out I was playing Elle! I was actually studying abroad in England when I received the news, so it was kind of surreal and amazing at the same time. 

What is your favorite thing about her?

My favorite thing about Elle is her positivity. She sees the best in everyone and everything and encourages me to be more like that in my daily life. 

What did you do to prepare for this huge role?

A lot of cardio and voice lessons! This show is so demanding physically and vocally – I’ve really had to train and learn how to maintain stamina and healthy singing techniques throughout the whirlwind that is this show every night in order to be in good health for the next. 

What was the hardest scene you had to learn in this show?

Hmm I’d say the courtroom scenes were the most difficult to learn in terms of lines. But the dances were definitely the most difficult because of the endurance we had to develop in order to sing at the same time 

How long have you been performing?

Forever! I’ve danced since I was 3 and got into acting shortly after. I discovered musical theatre in middle school and have been obsessed ever since 

What is your favorite Elle quote?

This one is from the move and didn’t make it into the script, but it’s my favorite – “You must always have faith in people. And most importantly, you must always have faith in yourself.”

Photos courtesy of Hannah’s Facebook and Winthrop University 

Make sure you go see this incredible show running Wednesday – Saturday at 8 p.m. and Sunday the 21st at 2 p.m.! You won’t regret it!

HCXO

Catherine is an ambitious twenty-something woman living in Rock Hill, South Carolina where she attends Winthrop University as a mass communication major. She is the President and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Winthrop, which she co-founded in November 2014. She has also been a member of the Winthrop chapter of the Association for Women in Communications, and is currently the President of the Society of Professional Journalists chapter at Winthrop. Since being involved with Her Campus, Catherine received an internship at Her Campus Media in Boston, MA. She also currently works as a Chapter Advisor for the company and writes about Grey's Anatomy each week for the site. Because of Her Campus, she has also received writing positions at many publications throughout her 3 years at Winthrop. Outside of her busy lifestyle, Catherine enjoys relaxing with her friends on the weekends and having Sex and the City marathons. She can't live without her dog, family, Cosmopolitan, friends, Starbucks, Instagram, The Bachelor, Grey's Anatomy and of course Chick-fil-A. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter: @cathclowe!