Grey’s ~*Heartbreaking*~ Anatomy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Have you ever sat down and watched a show and found yourself lost in it? You feel like you’ve suddenly become a part of this show and if you stop watching – even just for a second – you’ll be missing out on a huge part of it. That’s the impact Grey’s Anatomy has on people. It’s a wickedly funny yet heartbreaking show that tosses around people’s emotions.

Let’s take a stroll down memory lane and recall some of the shows most heartbreaking moments (in no particular order)

Derek’s death

Fans from all over the world could not believe the heartbreaking news! Derek was the ultimate hero, not only as a surgeon but as a regular human being. He stopped to help those who had been in an accident, only to soon be in an accident of his own. Meredith broke everyone’s heart when she asked the nurse to stop pulling the plugs because she thought that she could wake Derek up. Rest easy McDreamy, we’ll continue to have some pretty sweet dreams of you!

Denny Duquette

Izzie had made the choice of cutting Denny’s LVAD wire in order to help him, but it ultimately ended up backfiring. He was the love of her life, and in order to cope with the situation, Izzie went on a muffin-baking montage. Fans wish that they could be comforting Izzie while she grieved on the bathroom floor.

007 – George O’Malley

Our very own heart in the elevator guy! Hands down one of the shows best characters. Everyone was upset enough when he announced that he joined the army, can you imagine the damage our hearts felt when we realized that the “John Doe” who was hit by a bus was actually O’Malley?! The moment those elevator doors opened and we saw O’Malley standing on the other side, we knew that we had lost a piece of our hearts forever.

Fight or Flight: The Plane Crash

The accident that caused everyone’s heart to go into cardiac arrest. Due to the accident we ultimately lost two of our favorite characters. Beginning with the lovable, Lexie Grey. When Lexie told Meredith that she was proud to be her sister, BOOM, the tears began.. and then Lexie confessed to Mark that she was still in love with him and BOOM, our tears turned into a thunderstorm of their own. When this episode is brought up, we all need someone’s hand to hold.

When the steam went out – Mark Sloan

Mark was also on the flight that crashed except we thought he was going to end up being okay. WRONG! Mark had suffered internal injuries that he was not going to be able to heal from. The episode is a recollection of Mark’s best moments – including a video clip of him at Callie and Arizona’s wedding where he confesses that Lexie Grey is the one for him.

The altering decision – Yang and Burke

We all wanted what was best for our very own Cristina Yang, so when she discovered that Burke had walked out of their wedding ceremony, we cried just as much as she did.. maybe even more. She goes back to the apartment and the moment she gets over the threshold, she yells out to Meredith for help because she feels like her wedding dress was suffocating her, which in a way could symbolize the way she felt when she was in a relationship with Burke.

Cristina’s departure

Cristina leaving Grey Sloan Memorial was heart-wrenching. We all knew she deserved the Harper Avery but because of her place of work, she did not win. UNFAIR! As an audience, we knew that in order for Yang to be completely happy once again, she would have to leave and continue her career elsewhere. When Yang left, a piece of us left with her.

Just like in Grey’s, we all need someone we can count on. We need someone who is willing to cut us out of our wedding dress or break hospital rules to save our life. We need someone who will dance all of our problems away with us.

We need our person.

Itzel Lara

Winthrop '20

Itzel Lara is a junior Social Studies Education major at Winthrop! She has hopes of becoming a high school teacher, and work her way up to teaching at a university! She has been a staff writer for Her Campus Winthrop for 3 years! One of the many reasons why Itzel loves Her Campus is because of the love that everyone has for one another – Her Campus has been a home away from home for her. She is originally from Los Angeles, California and relocated to South Carolina to continue her education. She is absolutely obsessed with giraffes! She loves exploring new places - especially waterfalls! If she's not binge watching something on Netflix then she's probably napping or hanging out with her dog, Jasper! Follow her on instagram (@ItzelCeleste_)! 
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.