Life > Experiences

Finding Your Place on Your College Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Despite what the movies portray, the college experience is different for each student. Whether you are moving away from home and living on campus or living at home and going to a local college, majority of students want to find a way to fit into “college life”.

This article is not to give tips on how to conform to the stereotypical college student life. The tips in this article will be ones that are meant to encourage you to step out of your comfort zone and to find yourself in this period of change. 

1. Talk to people in your classes during the first week of classes 

There is a strange myth that college students do not want to talk to other people. Each semester when classes start, many students want to make friends within their classes but are too afraid of rejection or judgement. During the first week or two, start talking to the people who sit around you in class! These people could end up being your new friend and introduce you to new and exciting experiences. Even if they do not become your best friend, it is reassuring to see a familiar face around campus. They may even be someone that will share their notes if you miss class!

2. Join a club 

Most colleges have a list of clubs and organizations of their website or may even have a club/organization fair where students advertise and pass out information for their club/organization. Try finding one or two of these on campus organizations or clubs that are appealing to you, and then attend a few of the meetings! Finding people who are interested in the same topics as you are a great way to make friends and begin making the college campus a place that is comfortable. 

3. Take elective classes 

Some majors have strict class schedules that you must follow, but if you can find places in your schedule that you can fit elective classes that seem fun is a great way to find new interests. Even if you are an English major, consider taking an anthropology class or an art history class. Being exposed to new topics allows you to view the world in new ways and might even prompt you to change your career path. It’s best to find that you do not like your career path now rather than having a full-time job within the field and realizing you hate it.

4.Start trying new things 

College is the perfect time to try new things. This can be anything from trying a new fashion trend and changing your hair style, eating different food, journaling, or exercising. The possibilities are endless. College is a period where you are transitioning into adulthood, and you need to find who exactly you are outside of your parents and friends’ expectations and opinions. Trying new things is the best way to find out who you are and what you like!

5. Go to events on campus

Most college campuses hold various events throughout the semester. Some of these events might be more educational rather than fun, but you can begin learning new topics that are available during your semester classes. These event topics may lead you to looking into other topics.

Again, college is a time to find what you like and what makes you YOU. Of course, do not try to do all the things all at one time because that can be overwhelming and may cause you to derail from your top priority, your schoolwork. Doing all the things above can be out of your comfort zone and a little uncomfortable, however, growth does not happen within your comfort zone. 

Don’t be afraid to try new things and meet new people! College is the perfect space to invent yourself and obtain the education that you want. Find spaces that support your beliefs and things you like, but also join spaces that challenge you and introduce you to new perspectives. College is fun and can be transformative if you let it!

Sam Hyatt

Winthrop '23

Hi! My name is Sam and I am a graduate student at Winthrop University. I am currently in the MA in English program, and I am working towards one day being an English professor. I love reading and writing. Right now, my favorite book is Middlesex by Jeffery Eugenides and Later by Stephen King. When it comes to writing, I love journaling for myself, but also writing about difficult topics that may be controversial. However, I believe that there are certain subjects that need to be talked about and I do not mind stepping into that uncomfortable space. I'm excited to be writing for Her Campus and making new friends and connections with other student writers! "When I dare to be powerful, to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid." – Audre Lorde