This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Growing up in the middle of two brothers had its challenges, but I lucked out with the whole room situation. With my pretty, pink room and my own bathroom, I never really understood the concept of sharing such an intimate space with another person. It was not until I started applying to schools that I realized, “I need to find a roommate.”

This caused me lots of stress at first, “Do I start looking for one or do random?”, 

“Are we supposed to be friends or acquaintances?”,

“What if she doesn’t like me?”

Then one day, after joining various Facebook groups and following people on social media, I received a direct message from a girl. Right away her quirkiness and kindness intrigued me, and of course she was super pretty. Her energy was contagious and right away we clicked, I knew she was going to be the perfect roommate. Once we got to school, we were both able to learn more about one another in our daily lives. The first few months we got along, we both were adjusting to this brand new college lifestyle, we were very courteous of another. It wasn’t until the end of the semester that we became best friends.

A situation brought us close and since then, we have been inseparable. Without Nikki, I honestly do not know where I would be or how I would have made it this far in my college career. Going home for a month for Christmas break last year was refreshing but also so strange. I got used to spending so much time with her, then being five hours apart for such a long time was weird. Upon returning back to school, we both decided to go through sorority recruitment. That was a process that I was so fortunate to go through with her by side while supporting one another. To my surprise, we both ran home to Delta Zeta, and I could not have been happier.

Now in year two of living together, I would not want it any other way. She is always there to lend an ear when I need to rant, a hand when I need help, and her heart when I need some affirmation or encouragement. From her, I have learned to not be afraid to be who I am. She is so unapologetically herself and it truly inspires me to not hold back from finding my true self. I often find myself adding a million things to my plate and it results in me overstressing. I can always count on her to help me loosen up, whether it be words of encouragement or a tiktok to make me laugh. It is funny to see how different our interests and personalities are but we mesh so well together. We have been able to quite literally pick each other up off of the ground and support one another. Thanks to Winthrop, I have found the perfect froomie, sister, and bestie a gal could ever have.

Gracie King

Winthrop '22

Gracie King is a Junior, Dance Education major from Charleston, South Carolina. Although teaching dance is her passion, writing is one of her guilty pleasures. She chose Winthrop University because of their strong Arts Department, College of Education, smaller student body, and the welcoming environment. When not at school or dance, Gracie enjoys spending her time at the beach, serving in the community, and watching Grey's Anatomy.