A Farewell Letter to My Undergraduate Career: An Ode to Winthrop University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

May 7th, 2016. In just three short weeks, I will be graduating from Winthrop University as a undergraduate, along with many other students. It’s been a long four years, but it’s finally here. 

I couldn’t be more excited. I stare at my cap and gown several times every day, and I count down the days until the graduation, one by one. The day cannot come fast enough. 

But as I reflect back on my undergraduate career at Winthrop, I get a bittersweet feeling inside. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad I’m graduating. But, I’m kind of going to miss college. 

I’m going to miss the spring breaks, the Thanksgiving breaks, the super-long winter breaks. There are no breaks in the real world outside of school. Sure, you get holidays off every now and then, but it’s nothing compared to college vacations. 

I’m going to miss hanging out with the friends who aren’t graduating with me in May because we’re not in the same year.

I’m going to miss being a member of all the clubs and organizations I’m involved in. 

I’m going to miss staying up late with my roommate and doing all sorts of crazy things. 

I’m going to miss paying only $2 to see a movie on campus, because as we all know, movie tickets in real life are far from being that cheap. 

I’m going to miss not bothering to dress up because I just don’t care, and hey it’s college–nobody cares.

I’m going to miss taking advantage of the gaming center on campus and playing video games I don’t have on systems I most definitely cannot afford.

I’m going to miss binge-watching YouTube videos till 3 in the morning (and then regretting it later it that day). 

I’m going to miss it all. 

I can honestly say I’m not going to miss the less-than-pleasant cafeteria food, or the ridiculously high tuition (scholarships and grants helped a lot) but that’s another story in itself. 

The bottom line is while college was stressful at times—and while I suffered several near mental breakdowns over the course of four years—I had a terrific experience. And I’m glad I decided to come to Winthrop.

I’ll admit that Winthrop University was not my first choice. It was my second. And my primary reason for applying to the school was just because my mother told me to, and I told myself “What the heck. You need a back-up plan, right?”

I’ve met so many wonderful people during my time here, from students to professors, to the nice custodian in my dorm who always greets me every time I see her. My advisor is one of the best advisors ever because more than once I would forget about my advising appointments, and he would always find time to schedule me in after the advising period was over. 

I have had plenty of wonderful memories here, memories that I couldn’t have gotten if I went to another school. 

I’ve gone out of my comfort zone and done things that I never thought I would do, and enjoyed every second of it. 

I’ve laughed. I’ve cried. I’ve even Gangnam Style-ed once in public. (And I nailed it!) 

And I did it all at Winthrop University. 

So I’m proud to be graduating as a Winthrop Eagle. And I’m even prouder to be completing another milestone in my life and graduating from college. 

So congratulations to all my fellow seniors graduating in May. 

We’ve made it. 

Anna-Marie Hayward is a senior mass communications major at Winthrop University. She is passionate about journalism and wants to go into sports journalism as a career. Her favorite sports are football and basketball, and she is an avid fan of the WWE. She loves writing poetry on a variety of subjects, composing songs in a variety of genres, reading just about anything, exercising three times a week, and playing video games even when they make her rage. You can follow her on Twitter at @annabananatrees and on Instagram at annabanana_4ever. 
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.