This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

In an ideal world, majors would fit us as perfectly as Cinderella’s glass slipper and no one would ever struggle with their chosen course of study. However, especially in a world where more and more women are turning their focus less from the comfort of the glass slipper and more to the challenge of shattering the glass ceiling, it’s not uncommon to need to try a major (or two…or three…) on for size. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with experiementing with your passions, interests, and skills, but that doesn’t mean changing your major is easy! Here are the emotional stages of making that big choice:

Denial

Pshh, everything is fine. I love my major! I can pull these grades up! I will be successful!

Real talk: If you suspect that you have a serious issue with or inability to succeed in your major, talk to your advisor or mentor ASAP! They can help you evaluate your feelings and your oprions, and keep you updated on important deadlines, such as add/drop, class withdrawal, etc. 

Anger

Why am I awful at this? Who let me try this? Why is this so much harder than everything anyone ever in the history of higher education has had to do?

Real talk: every major is hard because college is hard. However, what’s hard to me might be a piece of cake to you, and vice versa — don’t beat yourself up if you’re struggling, and don’t get annoyed if it feels like others don’t understand how hard you have to work in your major. 

Bargaining

“Dear God, if I pass this test that I did not study for because I actually hate this major and/or my life, I promise to never open my laptop to do research but secretly get sucked into a Buzzfeed quiz vortex and spend 30 minutes discovering what type of sock I am instead of actually completing my assignment ever again”

Real talk: if you dread your classes or assignments to the point of feeling a need to bargain when exam day rolls around, then you shouldn’t be prolonging your misery! Of course a little procrastination and confusion is normal, but if you see a pattern emerging, evaluate your choices. 

Depression

I made a mistake. Why did I think I could do this? Should I even be in college?

Real talk: Sure, college isn’t for everyone, but don’t jump to any conclusions just because one major didn’t work out for you! Look into tutoring, extra credit, and other opportunities, and then other majors, and then (and ONLY then) start to consider alternate options. There are a myriad of majors out there for you, you just have to look for the best fit!

Acceptance

I changed my major. Life is good. Let’s focus on the 5,246 ways this major is going to help me get closer to my life goals!

Real talk: Problem solved! (For now, at least.) Keep your head up and your options open as you expolre your new major!

No matter what your major is, Collegiettes, your hard work and dedication will pay off in the end if you are motivated and inspired by what you’re learning and where you plan to use it after graduation. Even if you get a little mixed up sometimes…

…have faith in yourself and your abilities! You got this, girl! 

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.