Dylan Comerford ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Name: Dylan Comerford

Major: Business Minor: Economics

Hometown: Johannesburg, South Africa

I noticed that you’re from South Africa, what is it like there? I’ve never been. How is it different from America? 

For the most part the weather is a lot different. It is beautiful and sunny all year round. The main difference would probably be the people and food. Oh, we also drive on the left hand side of the road. 

What brought you to Winthrop?

I have been lucky enough to come to Winthrop on a tennis scholarship. 

What is your favorite thing to do in South Africa?

My favorite thing to do is definitely going to the beach and spending time with my family. 

How do you deal with being so far away from home?

Two words: Skype and FaceTime. I am very close with my family, we speak everyday. 

Do you travel a lot? If so, where have you been?

I have been very fortunate to have the ability to travel. I’ve been to over 20 countries, the majority being in Africa, Europe and North America. My favorite place to visit is probably Spain. 

What is your favorite hobby?

My favorite hobby by far is riding motorcycles. 

How long have you played tennis? Do you want to play professionally?I have been playing tennis since I was 6 years old. My dad was a really great player, so that’s why I started playing. It would be my dream to become a professional tennis player. 

Where do you see yourself in five years?In five years, I see myself using my degree either in the stock market or banking industry.

Do you have a favorite movie?My favorite movie series of all time is probably “Home Alone”.

What do you look for in a girl?I look for two main things: a sense of humor and ambition. I make a lot of jokes (probably too many) so she definitely will need to roll with the punches.

What are three words that describe you?Cheeky, unpredictable and loyal. 

What is something interesting that people don’t know about you?I just found out yesterday that I’m going to be an uncle! I could not be happier. 

Catherine is an ambitious twenty-something woman living in Rock Hill, South Carolina where she attends Winthrop University as a mass communication major. She is the President and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Winthrop, which she co-founded in November 2014. She has also been a member of the Winthrop chapter of the Association for Women in Communications, and is currently the President of the Society of Professional Journalists chapter at Winthrop. Since being involved with Her Campus, Catherine received an internship at Her Campus Media in Boston, MA. She also currently works as a Chapter Advisor for the company and writes about Grey's Anatomy each week for the site. Because of Her Campus, she has also received writing positions at many publications throughout her 3 years at Winthrop. Outside of her busy lifestyle, Catherine enjoys relaxing with her friends on the weekends and having Sex and the City marathons. She can't live without her dog, family, Cosmopolitan, friends, Starbucks, Instagram, The Bachelor, Grey's Anatomy and of course Chick-fil-A. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter: @cathclowe!