This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Now that Autumn is here and in full effect, we have leaves crunching under our feet, apple cider cravings, and the cutest fall activities. Whether you enjoy taking pictures in a pumpkin patch or having a cozy night in with your favorite scented candle, as the seasons change it is evident that your feelings about your surroundings do too. Hotter weather typically results in families rushing to the beach to cool off in the water while colder temperatures command them to go inside and bundle up.

This recent transition has undoubtedly initiated a change in human behavior, seeing as there is a significant difference in the amount of sunlight present during the day. Because it gets darker so much earlier, it sometimes is hard to continue with routines installed prior to daylight savings. With all of this being taken into account, it is of no surprise how being in college during this time is difficult to say the least. For me personally, the darker it gets, the sleepier I become, no matter where I am. Being productive is more of a fight as I resist urges to ignore deadlines in my planner begging for my attention. I dream of the soft and luxurious blankets on my bed more frequently than usual and question if I really need to study as much as I do. In order to stay on track while catering to my body’s needs, I have drawn up a few ways to combat feelings of fatigue and burnout. 

Work ahead of time

• This is something that I have been implementing for the past few weeks. Regardless of what my brain tells me to do, I know after a certain time in the day my body simply will not allow me to do schoolwork. Because of this I have learned to complete my more important or complicated tasks when the sun is out, that way I can rest and relax when I want to rather than forcing myself to power through assignments because I have to. The sense of relief you have knowing your work is done and there is nothing more required of you on any given day is definitely in the top five best feelings a college student could ever have.

Pacing not racing

• Try not to do all of your work on the same day or within the same time block. Break up assignments into smaller phases so you don’t grow weary early. For example, if you know you have three major assignments due within the next two weeks, spread the workload out. Maybe start one paper today and then give yourself a few days to breathe before starting another one. Avoid all-nighters at all costs. Remember, it’s a marathon not a sprint. Working smarter not harder through this time can work to increase your academic stamina, as well as serve as a major mood booster.

Be nice to yourself

• During this time as the night creeps quickly, it’s easy to fall into more destructive thought patterns, especially as the degrees outside plummet lower and lower. Feelings of loneliness, stress, and anxiety, become more noticeable and harder to shake off. Grounding yourself by remembering this time is temporary is key. Remember your feelings are valid and you are not alone. Give yourself the same sympathy you give others. Don’t deny what you feel, but work towards developing healthy coping mechanisms. Listen to your body and give it what it needs. Nothing is more important than your mental health.

The impact of the seasons changing is prominent whether it is a conscious realization or not. Time changes within these transitions prompt individuals to grow tired quicker, resulting in sentiments of restlessness and depleting energy levels. While there are plenty of enjoyable fall festivities to take part in, it is important to be mindful of how these environmental changes shift your normal patterns of being. Making adjustments to your day to day practices will ensure you have a less taxing holiday season and more pleasurable experiences. These tips may seem vague and broad at first glance, but implementing them over time makes all the difference.

Yasmine Mobley

Winthrop '23

Hey everyoneee, I’m a content creator, future business owner and aspiring fashion designer!