Life > Experiences

Concerns of a College Student Amidst the Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

It is hard to believe that we are still two years into the COVID-19 pandemic. It is likely that by now all of us have gotten tired of hearing about it and attempting to accommodate it. Nonetheless, I wanted to share some concerns that weigh on my mind and I am sure some of you may also have them.

Imposter Syndrome

Is it just me or has imposter syndrome been extremely real these past two academic years? If you did not already know, or if you did not know there was such a thing, imposter syndrome is when someone believes their abilities are inadequate which results in the feeling of an imposter. I came into college as a freshman in 2020, so just right after the peak controversy of the pandemic. Now that I am in my second year into the pandemic, I feel as if everything I was supposed to learn simply did not stick because of the e-learning we had to do. The knowledge I have accumulated this far does not feel like 4 semesters’ worth of information. So what does that mean for me in regards to imposter syndrome? Well, I constantly have intrusive thoughts that tell me I will have absolutely no clue what I am doing as a professional. Imposter syndrome has also contributed to my insecurities as well: Because I feel like nothing I do is genuine, I now doubt my intelligence. This has been a new problem for me this semester because I just feel dull-witted to the point where I get frustrated in my rigorous classes.

Now, this is just from a high-school COVID-19 graduate’s perspective. I cannot imagine how it is for those who were already in college. It seems the concept of time was surreal for many people. Those who are now juniors and seniors lost vital years to their college experience. Due to how near their future is, these students may be more susceptible to imposter syndrome since they are closer to being out in the “real world.”

College life concerns

Because of COVID-19 precautions, institutions everywhere took social distancing very seriously. This led to reduced room capacities, strict limits on guests policies, and most importantly, emphasized Zoom University. These precautions, although necessary, made it difficult for incoming freshman to make friends and create relationships with professors. Making new friends and establishing a network are things that colleges normally emphasize. Not having these connections or relationships can set people back and make them feel absolutely alone on campus. Especially those who decided to go completely online– they had little to no connection to the heart of campus.

As for Zoom University, that is a large and complex problem in of itself. Despite being convenient and even pleasurable at times, staring at a computer screen for excessive amounts of time for at least five days became unbearable. Moreover, I would argue burnout accelerated as a result. Students who are better at in-person learning had a difficult time with the transition and many students found it difficult to pay attention. It felt as if you were just retaining enough knowledge to do the next assignment that was due. Which brings up the question, were we even learning? I feel we can all agree that Zoom learning and normal college learning is not the same. This was another concern I shared as a freshman– I did not know how to figure out how to learn and study in college efficiently which continues to mess me up. Also, the emergence of mental illness can be attributed to online learning: anxiety to return to areas with other people and even ADHD from not being able to pay attention in lectures.

Closing Remarks

There are most likely many more complications that come with the COVID-19 pandemic, these are just a few reasons that seem to be worth mentioning. If you feel a similar way, know that you are not alone. Know that you have resources if it seems to become unbearable. As a current college student, I am sharing with you the hope that we will get through this together, find ourselves, and accomplish our goals. So, power through those assignments– it will be worth it in the end.

will edit this later so im typing random words right now lol