Charlie Ramirez: International Student Athlete

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Name: Charlie Ramirez

Year: Junior

Majors: International Business and Management

Hometown: Valencia, Spain

Position: Captain of the Men’s Soccer Team

What are you involved with on campus?

I am on the Winthrop Men’s Soccer Team and I was just named captain of the team for this season. I am looking forward to taking on this roll and I believe it will be a good and exciting experience.

In your opinion, what qualities make a good leader?

I think there are many qualities a good leader needs, but I think in my position it will be important for me to be one with my teammates. It is important to be with them during the hard and easy times. I also think responsibility is an important quality.  

Is there anything you are looking forward to this semester?

Soccer wise, we are really excited about this season. This is the first time we can get together and train properly. The team did not have enough time to bond in the fall, but now we are ready and excited to play. Classroom wise, I am ready to learn and do well.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

I like to hike, read, spend time with my friends and family and I like to travel.

What has been your favorite travel experience?

When I was 15-years-old I traveled to China with my high school. The culture was really interesting and it was fun. The more recent trip, I traveled around Europe by train and went through all of the main cities.

What is your favorite food from America and from Spain?

In America, my favorite food is banana bread. I also really like the food at Bonefish, I went with my Dad and got crab soup and tuna steak. It was really good. At home [in Valencia], I like to eat a lot of fish. I live near a port so we have a lot of fresh fish.

When I studied in Spain I had a lot of Paella, do you eat a lot of this too?

That’s one of the main dishes we have. It’s not my favorite food, because I have eaten it since I was very small and we eat it every Sunday.  We treat it as a family bonding event and the whole family meets every Sunday. Its not just my family, it’s tradition for all families in the area.

Who makes the Paella?

Paella means for her, so usually the man makes it. My granddad is the one who usually makes it for my family.

So you know how to make Paella?

Yes, I am getting there. For one of my classes, I did a presentation all about it.

Do you have a favorite ice cream flavor?

I don’t really have one but I guess it would be chocolate.  

What is your favorite thing about America?

I like the education culture. I like the interaction with the professors. Most of all I like the people. The people I have met are great.

Being an international student athlete, have you faced any challenges?

For sure, when I came here I had a major struggle with the food. It took a while to get used to it. It’s always hard being away from family, especially for the first couple of months, but you get used to it. Your friends and teammates are your family here and it becomes your home away from home.

What is something interesting about you that someone would not be able to tell from just looking at you?

One of my hobbies is to spear fish. Also, I was involved in a ship crash. The ship flooded and I was in the ship when it started to flood. It sank and we had to swim. Fortunately, we were like 400 meters away and a ship passed by us after 30 minutes and picked us up.

Experienced writer with a demonstrated history of working in the writing and editing industry with strong knowledge of AP Style. Skilled in verbal communication and video filming and editing. Exceptional at creating multimedia and promotional materials.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.