Celebrate Banned Books Week with These YA Reads

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

September 25th through October 1st is 2016’s Banned Books Week, a national tradition of over 30 years that celebrates freedom of expression and denounces censorship in libraries nation-wide. Although book-banning (where a book is literally removed and unable to be legally accessed) is becoming increasingly rare in the United States, the following infographic highlights the frequency of challenged books (where parents, libraries, school boards, etc. challenge a book due to any content they deem questionable, presumably possessing the ultimate goal of having the book banned).

Many books that are veritable staples of high school and college English classes have a tumultuous history with the public: The Great Gatsby, A Separate Peace, and Catch-22 have all been scrutinized heavily in former years. Classic literature is not the only genre that has a long history with censorship: many children’s and YA novels from our more formative years have been challenged as well.

According to the ALA’s list of the most frequently challenged books from 1990-1999, The Harry Potter series, The Giver, and Are You There, God? It’s Me, Margaret all rank within the top 100. These books are practically staples of childhood for many — can you imagine a life without access to Harry, Ron, and Hermione?

During Banned Books Week, we’re encouraged to talk about our favorite banned/challenged books to reduce the stigma and raise awareness to protect our right to read. In honor of this freedom, here are six excellent and frequently challenged pieces of young adult literature to check out at your local library this week!

1. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chobsky

“The critically acclaimed debut novel from Stephen Chbosky, Perks follows observant “wallflower” Charlie as he charts a course through the strange world between adolescence and adulthood. First dates, family drama, and new friends. Sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Devastating loss, young love, and life on the fringes. Caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it, Charlie must learn to navigate those wild and poignant roller-coaster days known as growing up.” [Amazon.com]

2. Looking for Alaska by John Green

“Before. Miles “Pudge” Halter is done with his safe life at home. His whole life has been one big non-event, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave “the Great Perhaps” even more (Francois Rabelais, poet). He heads off to the sometimes crazy and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young. She is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart. Then. . . . After. Nothing is ever the same.” [Amazon.com]

3. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

“Speak up for yourself–we want to know what you have to say.” From the first moment of her freshman year at Merryweather High, Melinda knows this is a big fat lie, part of the nonsense of high school. She is friendless, outcast, because she busted an end-of-summer party by calling the cops, so now nobody will talk to her, let alone listen to her. As time passes, she becomes increasingly isolated and practically stops talking altogether. Only her art class offers any solace, and it is through her work on an art project that she is finally able to face what really happened at that terrible party: she was raped by an upperclassman, a guy who still attends Merryweather and is still a threat to her. Her healing process has just begun when she has another violent encounter with him. But this time Melinda fights back, refuses to be silent, and thereby achieves a measure of vindication. In Laurie Halse Anderson’s powerful novel, an utterly believable heroine with a bitterly ironic voice delivers a blow to the hypocritical world of high school. She speaks for many a disenfranchised teenager while demonstrating the importance of speaking up for oneself.” [Amazon.com]

4. Just Listen by Sarah Dessen

To find the truth you’ve got to be willing to hear it.   When she’s modeling, Annabel is the picture of perfection.   But her real life is far from perfect.   Fortunately, she’s got Owen. He’s intense, music-obsessed, and dedicated to always telling the truth.   And most of all, he’s determined to make Annabel happy. . .” [Amazon.com]

5. Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell 

Bono met his wife in high school, Park says. So did Jerry Lee Lewis, Eleanor answers. I’m not kidding, he says. You should be, she says, we’re 16. What about Romeo and Juliet? Shallow, confused, then dead. I love you, Park says. Wherefore art thou, Eleanor answers. I’m not kidding, he says. You should be.

Set over the course of one school year in 1986, this is the story of two star-crossed misfits-smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try. When Eleanor meets Park, you’ll remember your own first love-and just how hard it pulled you under.” [Amazon.com]

For further information on Banned Books week, censorship, nationwide events and activism, and more, check out the ALA Banned Books Week website. And for more information on 2016’s Banned Books Week theme of diversity, check out the official website here

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.