Books I Read Over the Summer and Why You Should Read Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

During the summer, when I am getting a break from schoolwork, I always find myself either
sitting on my back porch or somewhere near water with a book in hand. I usually set a goal to
see how many books I can read in those short two months but this summer I decided to take
my time reading through the TBR books on my bookshelf. Below are a few books that I read this
summer and really enjoyed and would suggest to anyone looking for something new to add to
their TBR list.

The Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness
Although this book is a good read anytime you read it, it would be a great book to read in
October around Halloween. This book follows the story of the forbidden love between a witch
and a vampire. The first part of the book is set in a library as the main character has a career in academia and is where she finds an old book that draws the attention of one specific vampire and many other creatures. It’s a lengthy read as the novel is a little over 500 pages. If you are interested in longer reads, want to dedicate yourself to a three-book series, and love spooky stories, this would be a great book to try!

Between Two Kingdoms
by Suleika Jaouad
This memoir details the life of a girl right out of college who suddenly moves to Europe and
quickly falls in love with a guy. Within the first few weeks of her meeting this new guy, she goes to the doctor because of some medical problems and is diagnosed with an aggressive cancer.
The entire book, she details how she met new people during this time and how they impacted
her life. This was a heavy read at some points as it talked about diagnoses, death, and sudden
change that happened to her at such a young age. However, it is insightful and inspiring to read
about the raw emotions and feelings that happen during such a hard time that happen to many
people.

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
With all of the fiction that I was reading, I thought I should through in a classic book that I have
been putting off reading for so long. This is a short read, a little over 100 pages, and has a very
sad ending. If you were not assigned to read this in your high school or college English classes, it is one that teaches about friendship and betrayal and should be something read by everyone.

I’m Thinking About Ending Things by Iain Reid
This novel is one like I have never read before. The prose of this novel was clear, and the
narrator told the story directly to the reader. Some parts of the novel seemed confusing, but I
believe the author intended for the plot to take you on a twisting ride. After reading the novel,
it was fun to watch the film on Netflix and compare the similarities and differences between
the two.

New Kid by Jeff Craft
As graphic novels are becoming more and more popular, I have found myself picking up more of these each time I am in a bookstore. As a future educator, I think it is necessary that I have a few recommendations ready for when a student asks what graphic novel they should read. This graphic novel was written for a middle school audience but teaches lessons that can be
beneficial for anyone who reads it.

Sam Hyatt

Winthrop '23

Hi! My name is Sam and I am a graduate student at Winthrop University. I am currently in the MA in English program, and I am working towards one day being an English professor. I love reading and writing. Right now, my favorite book is Middlesex by Jeffery Eugenides and Later by Stephen King. When it comes to writing, I love journaling for myself, but also writing about difficult topics that may be controversial. However, I believe that there are certain subjects that need to be talked about and I do not mind stepping into that uncomfortable space. I'm excited to be writing for Her Campus and making new friends and connections with other student writers! "When I dare to be powerful, to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid." – Audre Lorde