This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Astrology as a science has been around for quite some time (nearly 2,000 years in fact); however, in the last several years it seems to have gained an incredible amount of popularity. 

While some people only believe astrology when it seems to suit their best interest and others want nothing to do with it, I am not only fascinated by the level of mystery that comes with learning about astrology, but also the level of accuracy I have come to realize when applying it to myself and those around me. 

It seems that for most people the first thing that comes to mind at the mention of astrology is horoscopes, but astrology is so much more than that. Astrology has the power to bring to light some of our best characteristics while also explaining some of our minor (or even major) faults.

If anything, astrology can help us get to know ourselves better. 

Now, I know what you’re thinking – that’s great but I still don’t understand what all these different signs mean. And I’m here to tell you that that’s okay. While this article will not include a detailed list of all the different signs and what their characteristics and attributes are, it will give you a quick rundown of your three most important signs and what they should mean to you.  

First things first, let’s talk about Sun Signs. 

Your sun sign is probably what comes to mind when someone asks you “So, what’s your sign?” This is the sign that governs much of your tendencies and personality; however, this is not the only influence, and some may argue that this isn’t even the most important sign. 

Sun signs are good at characterizing important traits, but the subtle nuances of your personality may be due to other, just as important, influences. 

Moon Signs are said to reflect your “inner self.” 

This influential sign often characterizes traits that you may not readily show to others. The traits of your moon sign are said to reflect how you act when you’re most comfortable and often by yourself

Try and imagine your true self, the person that you may or may not be comfortable sharing with others. Whether that hesitancy is due to a fear of vulnerability or a lack of self-discovery, understanding your Moon Sign can help you learn a lot of important things about yourself. 

Finally, let’s take a look at Rising Signs. 

Sun and Moon Signs are easy enough to understand, but for the longest time I couldn’t figure out what a rising sign was supposed to be. However, the simple answer is that your rising sign reflects how other people see you

This aspect of your birth chart should list traits and tendencies that other people pick up on that you yourself may not even realize. In other words, this may include traits that other people love most about you and even the traits they don’t like as much. 

When diving into the world of astrology it’s important to remember that nobody will relate to every single characteristic that their sign is known for. Rather, everyone is a mixture of their sign, and as you can see here, several different signs. Humans are complex creatures, and while we like to think that we are in control of ourselves and our surroundings, it appears that other influences may also play a factor. 

Whether you believe in astrology or not, I think we can all agree that it’s an interesting subject to look into, and at the very least it can be a good laugh. 

Nicholle Lewis

Winthrop '20

Nicholle is a junior biology major with a minor in psychology and Winthrop University. In addition to being Editor in Cheif for Her Campus at Winthrop, she is an honors student, an undergraduate research assistant, a member of the fraternal conduct board, and a sister of Delta Zeta. In her free time, Nicholle enjoys reading, hiking, yoga, and meeting new dogs. When asked what her favorite aspect of Her Campus is, Nicholle replied "I love Her Campus because if has helped me learn to not only find my own voice, but to use it to connect with so many people I wouldn't have met otherwise."