Awesome Pet Hacks For Any College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

As a college student, whether you live on campus or off, this may be your first time taking care of a pet on your own. Whether it’s your little swimming friend or your big furry pal, here are some hacks that can help you give your pet all the TLC it needs.

Fish

Fish like to be clean too, but you must never clean out your fish’s bowl with soap. The soap residue can be harmful and even fatal to your fish. If your water has chlorine in it (most tap water does), let it sit out for at least 24 hours before you use it to allow the chlorine to neutralize and the water to reach room temperature. You should also always keep 15-20% of the old water so that your fish doesn’t go into shock being dumped into totally new water. For full instructions on cleaning your fish bowl, click here.

Dogs

One of the best (and cheapest!) ways to give your dog a bath is by using Dawn Soap. Not only does it kill fleas, but it gives your dog’s coat a shine like nothing else can. Make sure you don’t wash your furry friend too often though, as that can lead to its skin drying out!

Cats

We all know how litter boxes can smell pretty badly–but luckily, you can solve the problem with common household items! Baking soda is an amazing way to help deodorize litter boxes! Just sprinkle a little bit of the deodorizer every time you clean the litter box! But keep in mind that cats don’t like strong smells, so make sure you don’t use too much!

Frogs

Many people aren’t aware of all of the illnesses pet frogs can get. If you notice the underside of your frog’s legs and belly getting red, and they suddenly become lazy, this may be a sign of Red Leg Syndrome. If you see this on your little friend, immediately scrub out its tank and pay a visit to your veterinarian. Whether sick or healthy, make sure fresh and clean water is available to your frog at all times.

Hermit Crabs

If your hermit crab lives up to the “hermit” part of its name and has no friends, buy him or her some! Hermit crabs are very social animals and love to be around their own kind. Just be sure you have extra shells waiting for all your little buddies!

Hopefully these tips help you and your little buddies live healthier, cleaner and happier! 

Ali Maclay is a biology major, chemistry minor, psychology minor, and honors student at Winthrop University. She is an aspiring Neuroscientist and hopes to work at St. Jude Children's Hospital. She is the Facebook Social Media Director for Her Campus Winthrop's Facebook page, and associate member of Tri Beta Biological Honors Society, and a member of the Student Affiliates of the American Chemical Society at Winthrop. When she's not doing academic work, working at her job, or writing for HC, she's probably binge-watching Netflix, dreaming on Pinterest, stress cleaning, or eating ice cream.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.