This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

No doubt about it, this election season has been scary. The media is torn, the nation is being polarized, and candidates scream insults at each other instead of actually discussing the issues – not exactly the ideal situation for already stressed-out and probably first-time-voter college students. If this election is a major source of your stress lately, sit down, take a deep breath, and read on for a few tips from a fellow anxious voter-to-be.

It’s okay to still be undecided.  This election is hard, and not just for college-age women.  Experienced voters all over the country are still unsure who to vote for, and most of those that have decided aren’t too happy with the decision they had to make. Whether you’re deciding who to vote for or whether to vote at all, it’s perfectly okay to take your time doing so. Everyone processes things at a different rate, and rushing into a decision keeps you from fully thinking things through.

If the candidate you vote for wins and something bad happens as a result, it is not your fault.  It is incredibly unlikely, probably impossible, that this election will come down to one vote. Close? Possibly. One vote’s difference? No. Take the electoral college into consideration, and your vote is only indirectly choosing the president.

You aren’t voting just for Trump or Hillary, you’re also indirectly voting for whoever they plan to appoint to office, including the Supreme Court justices. Just like you can’t judge a book by its cover, you should research who each candidate plans to bring into office with them instead of voting based on the candidate alone. Though the president may get blamed for whatever policies are implemented, they couldn’t have been approved without either the Congress or Supreme Court (it’s worth noting that even though the president can only serve for a maximum of eight years, Supreme Court justices serve for life).

The media is biased. If you’re planning on voting, it’s important that you do your own research. Look at articles from different news outlets so that you can decide for yourself what really happened. Fox News is usually more conservative in their reporting, whereas CNN and MSNBC are more liberal. Headlines are also sensationalized to get readers’ attention, so keep that in mind the next time you’re scrolling through your news app.

Who you vote for does not define you.  When it comes down to it, this is one decision out of many that you’ll make. There will be more elections, and your political views are only one part of the strong, wonderful person that you are. It’s unlikely that people will judge you solely on who you voted for – and if that’s what you’re afraid of, there’s nothing saying that you have to tell anyone which candidate you chose. The best thing you can do is vote for whichever candidate best represents your beliefs, and remember that life goes on.

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.