7 Myths About Sorority Girls That Are BEYOND Ready To Be Debunked

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

You may not know who they are, but you know which one they’re in. You’ve seen them in passing. They usually come in large groups, with matching t-shirts, and they’re featured in every other picture you scroll pass on Instagram doing the famous “squat”. Yes, ladies, we’re talking about “Sorority Girls”.

Let’s go ahead & be honest with ourselves here. If you’re on the outside looking in, when it comes to sorority girls, you probably have heard things about them and have formed your own opinions already.

Here comes the big BUT, though.

There are things about Sorority Girls that may seem true, but just aren’t. 

Check out 7 myths about sorority girls below that needed to be debunked, like, as of yesterday!

1. They’re pretty stupid.

Flag on the play! Believe it or not, Sorority Girls are some of the smartest girls on campus! Let’s not forget about the GPA that is required of a woman wanting to join a sorority, and that same GPA must continue to be upheld in order to stay in one.

2. All they really do is partaaaaay!

No, no, no, & no. While sorority girls do partake is some pretty fun parties and mixers, that’s not all they do. Community service is a big part of being in a sorority. Sororities like Delta Sigma Theta Sorority are founded on Scholarship, Sisterhood, and Service, and they put those first and foremost. Other sororities usually have a big philanthropy that they constantly bring awareness to and raise money for. Bettering the community first, party later.

3. They sleep around. A LOT.

Wrong, wrong, wrong….and wrong again! While it’s easy to believe this stereotype about all sorority girls, we can’t let a few bad apples spoil the bunch. Contrary to popular belief, sorority girls hold themselves to high standards because they know that they are the face of an entire organization when they join. They know that they are no longer just Taylor, but Taylor the Chi Omega, so their rep is important.

4. They really just pay for friends.

This is one of the more popular myths about sorority girls, and it’s really untrue. Usually when a girl enters a sorority and becomes close with the sisters that they have just gained, it’s because they’ve finally found people who share the same interests and the same love of serving others…not because they paid for them. They become so close because they have gained the opportunity to meet people that they clique so well with and to form bonds that they probably would not have had formed if they hadn’t joined. It’s really just excitement, people!

5. They actually don’t like you unless you’re one of them.

It’s easy to think that because you’re not one of them that they would hate you, but like myself, they usually LOVE friendship and meeting new people. Their sisters are their sisters, but they LOVE seeing new faces and connecting with different people. So, when you see one tabling or walking by, say hi because 9/10 times they’re going to say hi back and be so genuinely excited to see you!

6. They haze you.

This just got serious. If you only listen to the media, then this is a stereotype that usually comes along with sororities; however, you would be thoroughly surprised with how ABSOLUTELY SERIOUS sororities take hazing these days. Hazing is a horrific practice and any inkling that it may be happening on campus is almost always caught and done away with. And by done away with, I mean the ENTIRE CHAPTER is done away with. No campus tolerates hazing. 

7. They’re only pretty, rich, white girls.

Okay, no. While there are predominately white sororities, there are actually sororities for all kinds of races. Example—The National PanHellenic Council consists of sororities that are historically black. There are also Asian and Latina sororities in existence. Even better, these sororities often break the mold and have women from different races and backgrounds join even though they don’t fit the “typical” member.

Regardless of your previous thoughts of what a sorority girl is and what sorority life is like, I beg of you, stop before you write an entire organization off as a certain type of bad thing.

One amazing thing about sororities is there is a place for everyone. Your sorority experience could be AHmazing or as bad as these myths, but it’s really what YOU make of it. Just remember when considering joining that just like the Wizards of Waverly Place theme song tells us, “Everything is not….what it seems”. Dun dun dun da dun da. 

Hi there! My name is T'Mani Eady! I'm twenty years young. I'm a Junior English Major/Theatre Minor at Winthrop University. I'm from Charleston, SC. I love to DIY. I'm obsessed with everything vintage, and I believe that Chick Fil A is over everything else out there. I'm pretty simple, really. Buy me pizza and watch movies with me & I'm happy. I'm 97 percent sarcasm, and I have a serious case of the giggles.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.