This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

As an English major, I am able to recognize the importance of reading books written by authors who come from a different background than me. In fact, I prefer to read these kinds of books. Many of the books recognized on BookTok, Bookstagram, and other social media platforms are written by white authors. Most books assigned for students to read are written by white authors. It is so important for us to recognize and appreciate wonderfully written books by Black authors.

Here are 5 books by Black authors to add to your TBR!

Such a fun age by kiley reid

Emiria, a 25-year-old Black woman, is wrongfully accused of kidnapping while working as a babysitter for a 3-year-old white child, Briar. Such a Fun Age explores difficult themes in racism, society, and family relationships.

For a more in-depth summary and review of this book, check out the Bibliophile! I got my summary information from this blog and their review is incredible.

the Gilded Ones by namina forna

Are you a fan of YA Fantasy novels? If the answer is yes (which it definitely should be), The Gilded Ones is the perfect book for you.

In The Gilded Ones, the main character Deka lives in a West-African inspired society in which young girls must be tested to see what color their blood runs–either red or gold. When Deka’s blood runs gold, she must make a difficult decision: stay in her hometown, risking exile, torture, or even death, or leave to fight for an army full of girls like her (Goodreads).

The Gilded Ones explores themes of xenophobia, racism, and misogyny under the lens of an action-packed and fast-moving fantasy novel.

More than enough by elaine welteroth

Do you prefer memoirs written by award-winning journalists? Look no further than More than Enough by Elaine Welteroth.

This memoir discusses difficult topics such as race, the definition of success, and identity. Welteroth aims to help Black women–and all women–understand that they are enough regardless of what the world tells us (Penguin Random House).

The other black girl by zakiya dalila harris

According to Simon and Schuster Publishing, The Other Black Girl follows the stories of two young Black women working at Wagner publishing. Nella is used to being the only Black woman at Wagner and dealing with the microaggressions that go along with this title, but is excited when Hazel joins the team. Hazel and Nella seem to be getting along, however mysterious notes reading LEAVE WAGNER. NOW. begin to show up on Nella’s desk… and Hazel is responsible.

The Other Black Girl is a perfect read for anyone who has ever felt overlooked, maltreated, or threatened in the workplace. Even for those who have not, it is a fabulous read to see a glimpse into this perspective.

Indigo by beverly jenkins

Love historical fiction? Indigo is the perfect read for you.

Indigo follows the story of Hester Wyatt, a woman who escaped slavery as a child. Now, Hester works on the Underground Railroad, helping other runaways find their chance at freedom from the nightmarish oppression of slavery. According to Goodreads, Indigo explores the important topics associated with slavery and the Underground Railroad while incorporating a love story between Hester and an injured man who comes to her for aid.

Madelyn Wilkie

Winthrop '24

Hello! My name is Madelyn Wilkie. I am a freshman English Education major and Music minor at Winthrop University! My hobbies include reading, writing, journaling, and scrapbooking. After graduation, I hope to pursue my Master's in English Education to become a high school teacher.