person taking photo of pants and shoes
person taking photo of pants and shoes
SHTTEFAN/Unsplash

14 Things That Unphotogenic People Understand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

It’s awesome to live in the generation where we have access to taking photos whenever we want–unless you’re like me and were blessed with the unphotogenic gene. I rely on selfie-mode, use my iPhone photo editing apps religiously, and dread when I get a notification from Facebook or Instagram telling me that I was tagged in a new photo. 

Check out these things that only unphotogenic people can relate to!

1. It seems like your friends are out to get you because they only upload pictures that they look good in, and CLEARLY don’t even care that you look like Shrek! 

2. You know that your friend MUST be zooming in on her face when she says the photo came out well.

3. When you go somewhere really cool and exciting and want to show it off on Instagram—but later find that you have nothing to post because your eyes just happen to be closed in every photo.

4. You annoy your friends when always ask, “Can you take one more picture?” Which is exactly why you can NEVER ask for a stranger to take your photo! 

5. You don’t understand how some people can smile with no teeth and still have a good photo.

6. It completely baffles you that your selfies rock, but when it comes to someone else taking your photo you look like a potato.

7. Changing your profile picture on Facebook is an event that only happens twice a year because that’s how long it takes to get a decent solo shot.

8. You hate when your outfit is on fleek for the picture…but your face is not.

9. It’s no use to practice your smiles and poses because it never looks quite the same as it does in the mirror.

10. Picture day is and always will be your least favorite day of the year.

11. You tend to Instagram more food and scenery pictures than pictures of yourself.

12. Photoshop is your best friend, and using black and white filters are your favorite! (Or any kind of filter, for that matter.)

13. Just wondering but, what the heck is a good side?!?! And how do you know which side is your good side!? Is this a lie?! Did I miss some kind of seminar on this?!

14. You feel that models are some kind of wizards, and cameras are some kind of devils.

But…who cares if you aren’t photogenic?! You’re still beautiful in every possible way!

So keep on smiling, collegiettes!

Emily Murphy has been with Her Campus Media since 2018, and is currently the Branded Content Associate. She was the Campus Correspondent and Editor/President at her chapter at Winthrop University for four years, but has had a passion for all things writing since she was young. When she's not scribbling ideas down for her next branded article, she's watching reruns of Seinfeld while scrolling Pinterest for apartment inspo. Follow her on Instagram at @emilysmurfy