11 Problems All Pale Girls Understand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Snow White. Casper. Albino. If you recognize these nicknames and you can relate to these problems, you know you’re a pasty person! #palegirlprobs

1. Looking forward to winter every year because it’s finally acceptable to be pale.

The first dip down into the 50’s marks the end of tans.  Of course it’s way too cold to go and lay out, so tans eventually fade and us pale girls don’t stand out quite so much.

2. While we’re on the subject of tanning – it’s nearly impossible!

Lying out to tan? More like lying out to burn.

3. Not being able to find the right shade of foundation for your skin.

It seems that every shade is either too dark or has the wrong undertones for your skin.  No amount of blending can remedy this – believe me, I’ve tried.

4. “No, don’t use the flash!”

At a party with dark lighting? Well, guess I’m not getting my picture taken – unless you want me to look like Casper’s long-lost sister.

5. People thinking you’re sick because you don’t have much color. 

Nope, sorry, that’s just my face.  At least I’m set for that vampire costume once Halloween rolls around.

6. Your friends wanting to stand beside you in pictures because “you make me look tan!

Need I say more?

7. You can’t fake tan without a fear of looking like Ross in that Friends episode.

8. Picking clothes or hair dye with the utmost caution.

Certain colors can do wonders for pale skin, but it seems that most tend to wash pale girls out.  Beige, yellow, and most shades of white are off-limits.

9. Sunscreen is your best friend. 

You may even encourage your more-prone-to-tanning friends to reapply every now and then, and then get dubbed the “mom friend.”  I speak from personal experience.

10. Bruises and veins stand out so much more.

And – as mentioned before – using makeup to cover it up is out of the question.  Get ready for a slew of “Oh my God, what happened?”

11. Oh-so-patiently waiting for pale to become fashionable again. 

If this was the Elizabethan era, pale skin would be what everyone wanted.  Hopefully, with the resurgence of old trends, pale skin will be “fashionable” again – or, better yet, the world stops favoring one skin color over another.

Follow Jordan on Instagram!

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.