This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Once again it is that time of year that we all either dread or desire, also known as winter. No matter which side of the scale you find yourself, this chilly season is inevitable. As Minnesotans, it is our duty to be prepared for the 40 degree below weather. So grab some hot cocoa, your favorite fluffy robe, and get nice and cozy on your couch, because here are a few ways to winterize your style and home for this up and coming winter season.

Spray Those UGGs

Yes folks it is time to whip out those mittens, hats, scarves, leg warmers and don’t forget those wool socks. But more importantly, lets not forget the water and stain repellent spray for our favorite winter boots. Make sure to use spray that can work on the material of your boots, whether it is sheepskin or suede. Simply clean then spray your boots and let them dry for 24 hours. After this they will be ready to endure any snowstorm.

Layer Up With StyleWhen the weather reaches the negatives, many decide that leaving the house becomes more of a chore. With the proper clothing, it should not be as painful. I have found that it is hard to wear several layers while looking stylish at the same time. One of my favorite brands is Cuddl Duds, which has several warm, lightweight leggings and long-sleeve tees that can go under almost anything.   

Put Plastic On WindowsWhile this is a time consuming process, it is definitely worth the time. What you need is an indoor window insulation kit along with a tape measure, scissors, and a hair dryer. In order to reassure it will stick properly, make sure the window surfaces are clean and free of dust. Then, follow the kits instructions by lining the window with tape, placing the cut film over it, and then blow dry to shrink the film and make it wrinkle free. These kits can be found at Menards or Fleet Farm.

Load Your Car With EssentialsWhile this may be common sense, I can’t even count how many times I have seen people in the parking lot wiping snow off of their windows with their gloves. It is crucial to keep a windshield scraper, a small shovel, and some salt or cat litter in your car during the winter. Make sure to keep the salt or cat litter in your trunk, this way it adds more weight to your car. Along with this, it is a good idea to keep some blankets, snacks, water, and a first aid kit handy as well.

Keep Your Oven Open After BakingThe next time your roommate gets done making chocolate chip cookies, make sure to tell him or her to keep the oven door open. This is one of the easiest and cheapest ways to heat your home. After you are done baking leave your oven open for at least an hour and eventually you should feel your home slowly get warmer. Along with being warm you get that lovely aroma of cookies, so how can you really go wrong?

Whether we want winter to approach or not, it is inescapable. So don’t let yourself fall behind in the frigid cold, begin your winterizing now.

Katie is an avid wine connoisseur with an appetite for travel, journaling, a loaded bloody mary and of course, persuading the masses with the help of her PR education. Her current passions reside in creating trendy outfits at T.J.Maxx, rocking her Birkenstocks, finding new Indie artists and daydreaming about backpacking after graduation. She is a firm believer in equality and finding peace within society. She is always down for a fun time, while being fabulous and fierce.