A Window Into World Cultures

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Each year, the Winona State University International Services and Winona State University International Club host the International Dinner on campus. This year is the 29th annual dinner, celebrating a theme of: A Window Into World Cultures. Sarah Cheong, Public Relations Officer of the WSU International Club, says, “we are hoping that we can act as a bridge for the Winona community to experience and learn more about our world and the many beautiful cultures we have.”

The International Dinner consists of food from all over the globe, as well as performances from International and American students. This year’s dinner will take place on Saturday, April 9, from 6 to 8 p.m. in East Hall inside of Kryzsko Commons at WSU. The event is open to all members of the Winona community.

The event is to display performances and a variety of different foods from different cultures for other cultures to experience and enjoy.

The menu for the event consists of:

·      Chicken Biryani, a fragrant dish from the Indian subcontinent

·      Piyaz, a Turkish salad

·      Onigiri, Japanese rice balls

·      Empanada, a Latin American pastry

·      Lokumi, a Bosnian dessert

·      Chapman, a Nigerian beverage

·      And much more!

Cheong describes the event as, “open to all and it’s an event where you see the community gather together to have a good time. From young to old we have something for everyone to take away from our event!”

Tickets to the event are being sold at the International Services Office in Kryzsko Commons Room 233 each day from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., until the day of the event. Prices are as follows: $10 for WSU students, $10 for children (aged 6-17 years), $15 for adults and community members, and children under 6 are free of admission. The members of the WSU International Club can’t wait to see you there!

Haley Anderson graduated from Winona State University with a degree in mass communication: public relations and a minor in marketing. Haley is a firm believer that a shopping trip at Target, a peppermint mocha, and a quick stop at Chipotle can solve all of her problems. She enjoys traveling, jamming out to the newest hits on the radio with friends, trying out happy hours at local bars and restaurants, and pinning outfit ideas and dream travel destinations on Pinterest.
Hannah Ingebrand is a Winona State University graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Public Relations and a Psychology minor. Hannah is equal parts homebody and adventurer. She craves travel and her heart was left in Paris years ago. She is in love with love, handwritten letters and all. Hannah believes in making meaningful connections with people and embracing different cultures. Her obsession with Pinterest only fuels her love for polar bears, French bulldogs, and all things fashion.