Style

Why Tattoos Are Cool: Let Me Convince You in 10 Points or Less

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

As someone with tattoos, I can say that as soon as I find out someone else has a tattoo, I know we can vibe. There’s something about it that tells me: wow, I now have something I can talk about with them. Whether it’s talking about the meaning, the experience, the artist or recommendations on where to go for your next one (there’s no such thing as stopping at one tattoo), the presence of a tattoo starts something. So, here are 10 reasons I think tattoos are awesome and I think you will too.

1. It’s a form of self-expression.

Some people choose to show it in how they dress, some people dye their hair a spunky color, some people make art, and then there’s the people who wear art. What someone chooses to put on their body forever says a lot about them. Maybe it’s a Bible verse, a tribute to a lost loved one, a symbol of something with great meaning to them or maybe it’s just something they thought represented them well. Whatever a person gets tattooed says a lot about them.

2. They can carry great meaning.

My first tattoo carries a boatload of meaning that you can read all about here. It is so special to me. People asked me if I was scared to have regrets about the size of my tattoo, but never for a minute (okay maybe just one, freaked-out-moment) was I worried about regretting my decision My tattoo is a part of my story and a big part of who I am. They say some people wear their heart on their sleeve, and you know what? Some people wear their story on their sleeve too.

However, do not speak to someone in a judgmental tone if they get one simply for the reason that they think it looks cool… that’s NOT a bad reason to get one. Even though I may not have vocalized me wanting the tattoos I have prior to getting them, that doesn’t mean I haven’t thoroughly thought about them. I’m not going to regret it, okay. Don’t worry about it, worry about yourself. Thanks for coming to my TED talk- next.

3. You get to wear someone else’s art.

Some artists create beautiful work but then don’t know what to do with it. How cool is it that tattoo artists never have to worry about that? It’s a unique piece of art created just for you, and how cool is that? 

P.S. Who also feels super proud of their tattoo idea when an artist posts it on their Instagram after they’re done with it? (Me, I do.)

4. They are a conversation starter and can create bonds between unlikely individuals. 

As soon as I see someone has a tattoo, I have to ask them about it. Who did it? Where did you go? What made you decide to do it? Does it have special meaning to you? Did you draw it? How’d you get that idea? Because I have one with so much meaning, I always want to hear about the meaning behind other people’s, whether it’s personal or simply for vanity. We may be unlikely friends with very little in common, but I automatically know we have something to connect on if you have a tattoo, and that’s just show business, baby.

5. There is strength in pain.

For some people, just knowing that they were able to endure that pain is very meaningful to them. For me, my first tattoo was about overcoming deep emotional pain. Getting through what felt like would be endless, physical pain and being able to overcome that was symbolic for me. My tattoo was a symbol of triumph and so was that experience. 

6. Apparently, there are even health benefits!

You can read all about these here.

7. They’re bad*ss!

There’s really not much explaining to be done here. 

8. They are a confidence booster.

Since I’ve gotten my second tattoo, a lot of people have asked about it’s meaning. And truthfully, it doesn’t have inherent meaning. I got this tattoo because I think it’s beautiful and dainty but also bold and bad*ss. That, I think, represents me well. Let me paint a picture for you: You know how you feel extra happy when you wear your favorite shirt or a super put-together outfit? You know the days where you have an extra pep-in-your-step? Or maybe you get a lot of compliments or people tell you that you’re wearing “your color”? Yeah well, to me, my tattoo is like wearing my favorite shirt except I get to wear it all day, every day! It’s the perfect accessory to every outfit and gives me a lil pizazz on my days when I’m really not feeling pizazz-y.

9. It can be a tribute to a loved one.

Tattoos can be a way for people to pay tribute to a loved one who passed and a way to keep them near and dear to their hearts. 

10. Your body is a temple.

I know what you’re thinking, this is usually a reason people say they will never get a tattoo because of the Bible verse, but hear me out. Yes, your body is a temple—freakin’ decorate it. Have you ever seen a temple?! There’s nothing plain and simple about them. They are artistic, elaborate and beautiful—a sight to see. There’s such an incredible story behind the building of every temple and we know that because of the way it is displayed. Just because you get a tattoo does not mean you aren’t taking care of your body and respecting it or that you aren’t a good Christian. God will still love you, I promise. 

But please don’t be confused. I’m not saying that’s an invalid reason to refrain from tattoos. If you choose to make decisions based on the Bible, that is a wonderful thing and I respect it. I’m just saying don’t beat yourself up over it if you get one and don’t judge other Christians for getting a tattoo; it doesn’t mean they’re “bad Christians.” 

Maybe in the last 10 bullet points I have convinced you maybe tattoos aren’t so bad or maybe I haven’t. Maybe now you really want to get one. My goal is for people to understand and to relieve judgement. A tattoo is something that sets you apart. It makes you you. Ultimately what I’m really trying to say is that tattoos are cool.

Alexa Jo is a senior at Winona State studying Psychology and Communication Studies. She enjoys learning new skills, getting outside, upcycling clothes, and hanging out with the people she loves. She likes to write stories that are real, raw, and have just a touch of humor. She writes because she believes she has a lot to say, and wants to talk about the things others are scared to talk about. She uses her writing to share her experiences and uplift others. She hopes to one day work for a non profit in campaigns for social change.
My name is Hannah Hippensteel, and I like to say I'm a Chicago city-slicker, but I'm actually from the 'burbs. I'm currently a senior at Winona State with a major in mass communication-journalism and a minor in sociology. Catch me enjoying all Winona has to offer: the bluffs, the incomparable Bloedow's Bakery, and not to mention, Minnesota boys. With a goal of working at Teen Vogue, Seventeen or Glamour magazine, I'm soaking up every opportunity to keep my finger on the pulse and share my personal voice!