Why Is ‘Dating’ Taboo?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Dear Guydance,

Why is dating (act of going on dates) viewed as such a serious step to college kids?

Sincerely,

Anonymous

Dear Anonymous,

I’ve often wondered this question myself. I’ve come to find that the meaning of the word “dating” has changed completely. What the word meant to our parents, no longer applies to us. Dating has gotten a bad rep with the integration of technology, where no one feels they can trust their significant other with all of these temptations. People our age just seem to be afraid of the term altogether and are more comfortable with terms like “hanging out.” Call me old fashioned but I “hangout” with my buddies, not with the person I am interested in.

It also may have something to do with the fact that most of us don’t have a clue about what we’re doing after college. Our fields could take us anywhere, so it’s a little nerve-wracking to think you could find something special and not have it work out because of distance. Whatever the reason may be, if you sit down and talk to the person you’re crushing on and tell them you would like to spend some one-on-one time with them to see where it goes, chances are they’ll be open to going on a “date.”

But don’t lose hope, there are still like minded people out there who aren’t afraid to sit down and get to know someone over coffee.

Best of luck,

Christian

Hannah Ingebrand is a Winona State University graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Public Relations and a Psychology minor. Hannah is equal parts homebody and adventurer. She craves travel and her heart was left in Paris years ago. She is in love with love, handwritten letters and all. Hannah believes in making meaningful connections with people and embracing different cultures. Her obsession with Pinterest only fuels her love for polar bears, French bulldogs, and all things fashion.