Whitney: Advocate and Role Model

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Whitney Rasmussen is a social work major here at Winona State. She is one of the sweetest people I’ve had the pleasure of meeting. Whether she’s in class, helping someone through the Women’s Resource Center, or working at legacies, you can always find her with a smile on her face.

Whit, what are you involved with on and off campus?

“On campus, I am a member of Student Association of Social Workers (SASW). Through that club, we are offered various volunteering opportunities throughout the semester. Also on campus, a few semesters ago I got certified as a peer advocate and after doing my CAST capstone at the Women’s Resource Center, I am now currently a volunteer there as an on call advocate in support for all survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, etc. for after hours when the center is closed. I would recommend this volunteering gig to anyone!”

And you have a job?

“I sure do, I work at legacies as a direct support professional. I work with the kiddo population and would highly recommend this job, as well. I absolutely love what I do; I work with kids with developmental disabilities in which I work one-on-one with my clients to help develop and build different skills in which each is unique to that particular individual.”

What do you plan to do post-graduation with your social work degree?

“After graduating with my BSW, I plan on getting a job with either child protection services or in a child advocacy center. I plan on working for a couple of years to get experience before I go on to get my MSW. But that is way down the line!”

What made you choose Winona State?

“I chose Winona because I loved the atmosphere. I am originally from a smaller town so I knew I would like a big university so when I came here to visit my junior year in high school, I fell in love. I mean, who wouldn’t love being surrounded by the bluffs and the river?”

Tell me one person who inspires you and why.

“That would have to be my mom. She definitely inspires me the most. She has always been so supportive and encourages me to be the best possible person. She is someone I have always looked up to. Whenever I am having a bad or good day, my mom is who I call first. My mom is actually my personal google; whenever I have a stupid question about cooking/cleaning/laundry/appointments, she always has my back.”

Coming to Winona as a freshmen, is there anything you wish you had known?

“Hmmmmm… I think you should always keep your mind open to new career paths. There are so many different options out there and you really don’t know what you are passionate about until you give things a try.”

What is your favorite part about the social work program?

“That’s a hard one, I love everything about it! I would have to say that experience is really what keeps me going, everything I learn makes me more passionate about becoming a social worker. Also, I love my cohort. I don’t know how I would make it through countless amounts of group papers without them going through it right by my side. No one quite knows how to self-care like we do.”

Well, there you have it folks. Whitney is bound to change a life or two throughout her social work career. Any child would be lucky to receive your help, Whit! Best of luck to your future; we’re rooting for you here at Her Campus Winona!

Meet our writer Courtney D. Jones! Courtney is a junior at Winona State University majoring in Mass Communications- Advertising. She is consistently busy juggling school, working two jobs, and on the recruitment committee for Sigma Sigma Sigma sorority, so coffee is a necessity. But not just any coffee, it must be Starbucks Blonde Roast, with a dash of peppermint mocha creamer and a fourth of a packet of sugar. She has a die-hard love for all things beauty and fashion, and dreams of owning everything on her Pinterest boards one day. With her bright and bubbly personality, she loves meeting new people and sharing a good laugh. As a Chicago native, her happy place consists of drinking a cold microbrew with her favorite Giordano’s deep-dish pizza while watching her beloved Bears team.