This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Exes are kinda like jeans: sometimes they are a good fit; other times, not so much.

It is hard for me to believe that it has almost been one year since I wrote the article “Ex Marks the Spot”, in which I break down five incredible benefits to remaining friends with your exes.

In honor of Ariana Grande’s release of her song “thank u, next” earlier this month, as well as the recent Thanksgiving holiday, I have decided to look back on my past relationships and reflect on the lessons each has taught me. (For privacy purposes, I have elected to keep their names anonymous; however, each ex has been “named” based on the emoji I have next to their contact in my phone.)

roses on black background
Cathal Mac an Bheatha via Unsplash
1. Airplane

Even though we were 13 when we met each other, you taught me that love at first sight is real.

A lot of people say that what kids experience is simply lust, and that’s probably because all the things adults do seem to be viewed as more legit. But, you proved them wrong. I can’t begin to thank you for being my best friend in middle school and for the brief relationship we had based on such a strong friendship.

Most of all, thank you for making me feel like I was on Cloud 9 every day with you by my side.

For anyone who doubts the concept of love at first sight, don’t sell yourself short by thinking it could never happen to you. You never know… it could completely catch you by surprise. Like me.

2. Snowman

To my first serious boyfriend, thank you for teaching me to embrace my nurturing side.

I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t been afraid to “go soft” and let my walls down when I first met you. Your youthful side, though, brought it out in me.

I’m so grateful for the fact that I learned how to balance being a tough protector of my heart as well as a tender teddy bear while expressing my appreciation for you and the things you did for me while we were together—and even afterward!

3. Anchor

To say we had a smooth-sailing relationship would be quite the overstatement, but you above all taught me to always find the good in any situation.

Although I wish it had played out differently—there were so many things left unsaid—I’m also thankful for finding my voice and recognizing that my voice is important (the lack of communication, especially from my end, was indefinitely what weighed us down).

Moving forward, I know that I can anticipate healthier relationships in which my positive outlook and strong voice will combine together for a good cocktail.

4. Alligator

And finally, a huge thank you to my Panda-loving Biology companion for teaching me that love has a right time and place.

Although the popular notion is that it can happen anywhere, anytime, between any two people, you definitely showed me that it takes a little more than fate for it to work out.

Neither of us were in the right mental state to handle a serious relationship, but I’m forever grateful for what we had, along with the fact that we still talk occasionally and can rely on each other for a good talk or advice. 

dark LED red heart
Pexels
Regardless if your past relationships ended on a sweet or sour note, there’s always something you can take away as a life lesson.

Spend some time to consider what the relationships in your life have taught you—believe me, you might have much more to be thankful for than you think!

| 2018-20 Club President/Campus Correspondent | Hailey Seipel is a senior at Winona State University who is studying Applied & Professional Writing and Journalism. She has been passionate about writing ever since she was little, and a dream of hers is to author poetry, sci-fi and romance novels. Until then, she is interested in working as a creative/blog writer, technical editor or project coordinator after graduating. In her free time, Hailey enjoys listening to music and reading leisurely.