Unique Homes I Will Never be Able to Afford

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Sometimes I like to think about my dream home. I will sit through an hour of House Hunters on television and try to decide what house I would buy if I were to be in that position. I love looking at big houses. I think they’re really cool to look at because of the way they’re structured and designed. I’m so broke though; I don’t think I could ever afford such a beautiful home. But why would I need such luxury? I don’t need an electronic cabinet of wine bottles or even a billiard table.

That’s why, in this article, I wanted to share some cool houses I found online – some for sale, and others that just hold tours. Some of the items the homes come with are so extra. Can you afford any of these homes, and even if you can, would you use everything?

1: The Candy House

The first house I put on my list they call “Candy” for the bright colors and modern shapes it presents. The first thing that really pulled me in was the bright pink Cadillac parked outside the house.

Placed on Pinocchio Drive in Dallas, Texas, this house is unique for its variances of colors. I love how every room is completely different. For example, the dining room has an orange theme, but the main living lounge is blue. This room has a full window that overlooks the pool behind the house. My favorite room is the bathroom because of the turquoise theme. It looks so elegant! The back is fenced in so no strangers can steal your stuff!

2: Tuscan Bachelor Home

I don’t know what exactly in this house mesmerized me, but the design gave me Bachelor vibes. This home takes over about three acres in Southern California and is priced at $44 million. It contains brick walls and limestone floors. It has its own private terrace, a sports court, and a nine-car garage. This house was built in 2007.

3: Baywatch Beach House

On the bay of Laguna Beach (I would be surprised if I ever went past that area again), people will find this lovely, yet expensive, estate. Priced at about $19 million, this house is five bedrooms and seven bathrooms. It sits on the end of a hill with a cool pool at the edge and a beautiful view of the ocean.

4: Needle Grass

The Needle Grass home is a $20 million house with five bedrooms and eight bathrooms including a sun room and library. There is a green courtyard in the center lit with small trees. The interior design is white with mainly wood floors.

5: Fallingwater House

This national historic landmark was designed in 1935 by Frank Lloyd Wright. It was partly built over a waterfall that runs in Pennsylvania.

The house was owned by the Kaufman family for the longest time, and today it is owned by the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy. Fallingwater is worth “millions” (Fawcett) of dollars today. If you go on YouTube and watch its video, you can see how it was slowly constructed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj07nyrJJQg

6: YMCA Home

This house has so much space inside that it looks like a mall. It was previously a men’s gym with an indoor track, but now it’s a $14.5 million duplex loft. Set in New York, this house has four bedrooms and 3.5 bathrooms.

My favorite bedroom is definitely the kids room! What kid wouldn’t love Lightning McQueen?

7: Lazy River Home

This modern house contains a 90-foot lap pool within it! There are three floors, with multiple lofts that can be used as offices or libraries. The house includes a lagoon, waterfall, and sauna (which is unnecessary, but incredibly nice). All the rooms are spacious, with a vacation-like vibe featuring wood panels and palm trees. This house was sold in South Florida for the price of about $2.05 million.

8: Mega-House

This was one of my favorites! It’s the kind of house someone would see Tony Stark living in. The house is on Chalon Road in California. It has a huge open rooftop where they keep their pool and yard. The bathroom is the size of a spa, and they have a separate pantry for all their wine bottles. It has its own arcade and movie theater, so you wouldn’t ever have to leave the house. The other side of the rooftop is a tennis court. This house looks bigger than my college campus! The house has an underground garage and is secured by electronic gates at the entrance.

The link here is to the video that has a tour of some of the house’s rooms: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e98dzGwAzfQ (Go to the time at 4:15)

These million dollar houses look fabulous. I love a bunch of them, and if I had so much money, I wouldn’t know what to do with myself. I am not sure that buying a house bigger than my college campus is reasonable, but heck, if someone doesn’t ever want to leave their house, this would be perfect! I have to admit, on the other hand, it would be so cool to have a lazy river running through my house.

Links:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/90823/12-facts-about-frank-lloyd-wrights-fallingwater

https://www.zillow.com/blog/three-pavilion-home-204037/

Natalie Elle Tyler is a senior at Winona State majoring in Creative Digital Media. She is minoring in Dance, Creative Writing, and Journalism. Natalie manages her own photography business. When she isn’t writing, she’s either doing a photoshoot, hanging out with friends, or dancing. Her ultimate dream is to make book covers through her photography while having the time to be a freelance travel photographer or photojournalist.
Hi I'm Emily and I'm from Appleton, Wisconsin! I'm a Mass Communication- Advertising student, with a minor in Art History at WSU. I like concerts, hockey, cooking, and dancing in the car. I also enjoy guacamole, french fries, and caramel iced coffees from Dunkin' Donuts. All I really want to do is travel the world, move to a big city, and spend my weekends on a lake. IG & Twitter @esheptoski