This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

After surviving one full year of college, I’ve realized how important it is to stay focused on your well-being. College is the first time you are truly independent, which means you have the freedom to do things that maybe your parents wouldn’t normally allow. A student can see their friends at any time of the day, but it’s also important to have time to yourself.

Personally, in my freshman year, I felt sad during November and December. It was a mix of multiple things. First, it was the weather. It doesn’t help that I dislike Minnesota’s cold weather and heavy snowfalls. Second, it was my social environment. I love all my friends and things have since improved immensely, but that might’ve not happened if I still wasn’t happy with myself. Whether it was friendships, romantic interests, family, etc., I found myself struggling to cope with the changes emotionally. Third, it was Winona. I love Winona but it is a small town, and I was having a hard time exploring new corners I’d never discovered before. Throughout the year, I kept myself involved and went with the flow, but I felt like it drained me mentally. I knew I was still actively participating in activities that had my interest and hanging out with people close to me, but I needed a break.

This year, however, I feel good. This is the happiest with myself I have ever been. There is no switch to it sadly; it’s constant. To feel good about yourself, you need to keep working on yourself. There’s always going to be moments of sadness, but it is truly how you rise through it and go through difficult challenges that makes you a stronger person.

It’s different for everyone to cope with hard challenges to focus on themselves, but my biggest motivating factors were my life goals. When summer began, I practically threw myself into the work environment. I was back at Subway earning money so I could save it for future study abroad funds. I still plan to study in London for a full semester, and I hope it will expand my knowledge on writing. In addition to this, I got my membership back at my local Lifetime gym and every night after I closed, I went to the gym (even if it could only be thirty minutes of a work out). Instead of spending my time indoors watching television or being sad about what was happening in my life, I went out on a run. I barely go on runs. When I was at the gym, I learned new dances through YouTube videos, and I challenged myself to learn one routine a week. It really boosted my confidence and distracted me from any kind of negativity in my life. I found the motivation to start reading and writing again. I’ve always loved writing stories, and even articles (this for example), but finding time to sit and write has been the hardest thing for me to fall back into a regular pattern.

The week before I came back for my second year at Winona, my sister and I went up North to see my grandparents at the lake. While I was there, not only did I fall back into reading some good books, but I was also invested with attracting clients for my photography business. I joined an online club that held a free trial about business tips for photography in specific, and those sessions have made me feel confident about what I am doing.

This semester I am excited to have two editing classes, two dance classes, and some writing courses. My schedule this year aligns with the personal goals I’ve set for myself this summer, and that in itself is something I’m so happy about. In addition to this, I’ve received space from Winona. Now that I am back and better than ever, the concept of seeing multiple faces again after summer has created a positive reaction.

I hope to continue these goals this year and not fall into a state where I almost felt helpless and alone. I am still learning about being independent every day, and it’s become a process that I am learning to trust.

Natalie Elle Tyler is a senior at Winona State majoring in Creative Digital Media. She is minoring in Dance, Creative Writing, and Journalism. Natalie manages her own photography business. When she isn’t writing, she’s either doing a photoshoot, hanging out with friends, or dancing. Her ultimate dream is to make book covers through her photography while having the time to be a freelance travel photographer or photojournalist.
| 2018-20 Club President/Campus Correspondent | Hailey Seipel is a senior at Winona State University who is studying Applied & Professional Writing and Journalism. She has been passionate about writing ever since she was little, and a dream of hers is to author poetry, sci-fi and romance novels. Until then, she is interested in working as a creative/blog writer, technical editor or project coordinator after graduating. In her free time, Hailey enjoys listening to music and reading leisurely.