Tips for Navigating Senior Year Through COVID-19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Like many people across the world, I find myself sitting at my desk, starting my senior year by staring at my classmates through a laptop screen. As disheartening as this may seem, I have found ways—through trial and error—to make the most out of these hard times!

1. Pay attention

I cannot stress this enough: PUT YOUR PHONE DOWN!

This applies to everyone. Even if this is your freshman year, you need to be fully focused on your classes. Act like you are taking your classes in person and your professor is standing right in front of you, giving you their death glare for even daring to peek at your phone. I’ve found it helpful to place my phone on ‘Do Not Disturb’ mode, and even going as far as to not have it within arm’s reach or in eyesight. Being distracted during class is something that you shouldn’t risk, especially during senior year.

2. Have your camera on during class!

This way, your professors and maybe even your classmates can make sure that you’re listening and participating in class. I know that it’s very easy for your mind to wander while taking online classes, but after being called out for not paying attention, you’ll be more apt to listen to the professor.

3. Hold yourself accountable.

Get a planner. I know that everyone preaches about getting a planner, and it may be too ‘mainstream’ for you, but honestly, it’s worth it. Write every assignment that you ever need to get done in it, and make sure that you check your planner every morning to see what needs to be completed by the time the day is over. Having a planner helps me to see the bigger picture for the week of what assignments are due, instead of just taking it day by day and wondering what comes next.

4. Find ways to have fun!

This has been the hardest one for me. How can you have fun during a pandemic? The biggest way that I’ve been having fun is face-timing all my friends. They help keep me sane during these trying times. We watch movies using Netflix Party, play iMessage games, and do countless other fun virtual games with each other. Everyone is doing their best trying to keep their head above water nowadays and relying on friends is a sure-fire way to do that!

Seniors, remember to keep your head up! We can finish this year strong and get our degree, no matter what we face!

Meet Hannah Petersen! Hannah is a writer for Her Campus at Winona State University. She is in her senior year and studying social work and music. Hannah hopes to work with people who have been diagnosed with disabilities after she graduates. In her free time, Hannah enjoys reading, watching Netflix, listening to music, and spending time at all the coffee shops in Winona.
My name is Hannah Hippensteel, and I like to say I'm a Chicago city-slicker, but I'm actually from the 'burbs. I'm currently a senior at Winona State with a major in mass communication-journalism and a minor in sociology. Catch me enjoying all Winona has to offer: the bluffs, the incomparable Bloedow's Bakery, and not to mention, Minnesota boys. With a goal of working at Teen Vogue, Seventeen or Glamour magazine, I'm soaking up every opportunity to keep my finger on the pulse and share my personal voice!