Think F-A-S-T: Knowing a Stroke When You See One

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

I know a handful of people who have been affected by a stroke, and maybe you do too. A stroke happens when blood stops flowing to any part of your brain, depriving it of oxygen; this can happen either when blood clots or a vessel ruptures.

About two months ago my maternal grandpa had a small stroke – a TIA stroke. My paternal grandpa had a massive, debilitating stroke a little over a year ago. And a very close family friend of ours had a stroke seven years ago; she recognized the signs and got to the hospital right away – she was 36 at the time. Thankfully, our family friend and my grandpa on my mom’s side both made a full recovery.

After my paternal grandpa had his stroke, my dad and I went to visit him in the hospital, and, let me tell you, my heart has never hurt as much as it did when I saw him lying in the hospital bed. He was completely helpless; he’s a very stubborn man and all he wanted to do was go home, but because of his condition he couldn’t. It’s been a long year since then and his condition has improved immensely, but he will have to be in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

My other grandpa had what is called a TIA stroke, or, in technical terms, a Transient Ischemic Attack, which is often nicknamed “warning stroke.” Luckily, my grandma recognized something was wrong and got him to the hospital in time. He was given a beta blocker and was back on his feet in two days.

Each of these people were affected differently because each of their strokes were different in severity. However, that doesn’t change the fact that they are still very serious, no matter how big or small.

Because strokes have affected my family in various ways, I want all of you to be aware and know the signs, as well as what to do if ever you or someone you know has a stroke.

The signs:

According to the American Stroke Association, the four letters you need to know when it comes to strokes are F-A-S-T.

F – Face drooping; does one side of the face droop or is it numb? Is the person’s smile looking lopsided?

A – Arm Weakness; is one arm weaker or more numb than the other?

S – Speech Difficulty; is their speech slurred or are they unable to speak?

T – Time to call 9-1-1; call 9-1-1 even if their symptoms have gone away and get them to the hospital. Time is important!

What to do:

Stay Calm – The number one thing you must do is stay calm. Dr. Danielle Haskins of Saint Barnabas Medical Center, New Jersey says to concentrate on the situation and to remind yourself or whoever you’re helping that you are doing everything you can to help.

Call 9-1-1 – Even if the symptoms are not from a stroke, it’s good to call either way to make sure that proper medical treatment is given.

Take Notes – Keep track of the time when the stroke occurred.

Life would be so different if the people I know did not get the help they did. Strokes are preventable, so if you suspect that someone is having a stroke, take the necessary steps and help.

Additional Information & Sources

1, 2

Photo sources

1, 2

I love exploring the outdoors, writing, whales, and have a major sweet tooth for cheesecake! Volleyball and hockey are my favorite sports to play and watch. When it comes to writing, I love it. I truly enjoy being able to write articles and stories about topics people would enjoy reading.