Things To Give Up For Lent

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Calling all Christians! It’s lenten season, baby! For those of us who acknowledge this time of the year, we know that it can be both an extremely spiritual time, but also a bit of a struggle. Something that I think many of us can relate to during this time is the difficulty of finding something to give up for 40 days and actually being able to commit to that task. For those of you who don’t know what to give up during this special time of reflection on our savior, Jesus, I have got you covered. Some of us may be trying to find something small to give up that won’t be too hard, but for this season, I challenge you to do something that isn’t so easy. Let’s make Jesus proud ladies and gents.

The first suggestion I have is a big one, it will be hard, and you may want to cry. However, this Lenten season is about pushing ourselves and in comparison to what Jesus went through for us, this is nothing. I am talking about giving up pizza. Yes, PIZZA. I told you it wouldn’t be easy, but I believe in you. Also, Lenten season is conveniently right around spring break season. What this means, is that if you want to look good in your bikini on the beach this year, this might not be such a bad thing to give up.

My second suggestion is to give up coffee for lent. I realize that this is another huge part of our lives. However, notice how I only said coffee and not other forms of caffeine. I advise trying tea, which is a healthier option for the most part and comes in a wide variety of flavors. Find your favorite and maybe you will be pleasantly surprised! If not, it is only 40 days and I promise you will survive.

The third suggestion I have for all of you is not the typical giving up of a food item; it is giving up the snooze button. I’m sure almost all of us can relate to instantly hitting “snooze” the second our alarm goes off in the morning for a few extra moments of cherished sleep. This lent season, set one alarm and stick with it. Spend a few extra minutes in the morning with Jesus thanking him for giving you another day of this beautiful life He has given us. I highly recommend downloading the app First 5. It gives you a quote, bible passage, reflection and a prayer, the perfect start to any morning.

My fourth and final suggestion, the one that I will be participating in this year, is to give up snacking. This means that you eat three wholesome meals a day and nothing in between except for water or similar beverages (hydration is not something we want to give up). I think this is a great way to challenge yourself, but also create a healthier lifestyle. As long as you make sure your meals are fiber and protein filled, this shouldn’t be too hard. Although, who doesn’t love snacks?

Now that you have some ideas of what to give up, I hope you have a wonderful Lenten season. When you pick something, make it a challenge. Jesus died for us; you can go 40 days without your favorite food or whatever it is you chose. Allow yourself to focus on the beauty of sacrifice rather than thinking about how much you miss what you gave up. Stay strong out there, we are all in this together.

Abby is a marketing major from Burlington, Wisconsin. Typical places you can find her include the gym, coffee shops, or in bed watching netflix. She enjoys online shopping (it can be done from bed & there is nothing better than that), Pinterest, Starbucks, going on adventures, reading, and dogs. She also loves to laugh and spend time with friends and family. Her life goals include owning her own business, traveling the world, and having a family.
Meet our writer Courtney D. Jones! Courtney is a junior at Winona State University majoring in Mass Communications- Advertising. She is consistently busy juggling school, working two jobs, and on the recruitment committee for Sigma Sigma Sigma sorority, so coffee is a necessity. But not just any coffee, it must be Starbucks Blonde Roast, with a dash of peppermint mocha creamer and a fourth of a packet of sugar. She has a die-hard love for all things beauty and fashion, and dreams of owning everything on her Pinterest boards one day. With her bright and bubbly personality, she loves meeting new people and sharing a good laugh. As a Chicago native, her happy place consists of drinking a cold microbrew with her favorite Giordano’s deep-dish pizza while watching her beloved Bears team.