This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Many people gloss over Thanksgiving as if it doesn’t even exist, and I am one of those people. My friends and boyfriend both reminded me not to go too overboard with the Christmas decorations until after Thanksgiving. 

In my mind, Thanksgiving is just a day to gorge on food—a luxury that many don’t have. I found the day to be selfish and still do a little bit. However, as my friends and boyfriend reminded me, Thanksgiving isn’t about the food. Yes, the delicious home-cooked meals are a plus, but that isn’t what the day stands for at all.

Thanksgiving is a day to look back at the things we are thankful for. In a time with record-breaking natural disasters, coronavirus, and stressful elections, it may be hard to see the positives in our lives. But I can promise you, they exist. 

To help you remember things you can be thankful for, I have created a shortlist of movies to watch this week. In some way or another, these movies will inspire you as my friends and boyfriend did for me.

1. Free Birds

Where can you watch it? Hulu

What is it about? “Two turkeys discover a time machine and travel back to the first Thanksgiving to take themselves off the menu.”

How does it relate to Thanksgiving? As if the synopsis doesn’t give you enough of a clue, it is about the quintessential cliche Thanksgiving dinner.

2. Chicken Run 

Where can you watch it? Hulu

What is it about? “The creators of Wallace & Gromit bring you an exciting story about a group of chickens led by Rocky (Mel Gibson) who are determined to fly the coop–even if they can’t fly!”

How does it relate to Thanksgiving? Okay, so you have a movie about turkeys. Now, you have a movie about chickens. This is just a fun movie to watch with the family as the turkeys team up and try to survive.

3. A Winnie the Pooh Thanksgiving

Where can you watch it? While it isn’t on any of the main streaming services, if you can find a way to watch it, I highly suggest you do.

What is it about? This short animation follows Winnie the Pooh and friends as they find food for their Thanksgiving dinner.

How does it relate to Thanksgiving? Winnie the Pooh and friends are always teaching us life lessons in friendship, family, and love. However, this adds a special sprinkle of Thanksgiving spirit.

4. Wonder

Where can you watch it? Rent on Amazon Prime

What is it about? Auggie Pullman, a young boy, was born with facial differences. His parents have homeschooled him for his entire life, but now it is time for Auggie to experience mainstream schooling. Despite the bullies, Auggie manages to teach a very important life lesson in compassion and acceptance.

How does it relate to Thanksgiving? While there aren’t any prominent scenes of Thanksgiving dinners or turkeys, there are important life lessons. By the end of the movie, I cried, laughed, and stared intriguingly into my screen. Auggie reminded me to be thankful for the hidden blessings in life and to take a walk in someone else’s shoes before judging them.

5. The Turkey Bowl

Where can you watch it? Hulu 

What is it about? “A man is pulled back to his rural hometown by his high school buddies on Thanksgiving to finish the Turkey Bowl – a football game against their cross-town rivals that was snowed out 15 years prior.”

How does it relate to Thanksgiving? I don’t remember the last time I celebrated Thanksgiving without watching a football game, so there’s that.

thanksgiving table
Photo by Claudio Schwarz from Unsplash

6. Soul Surfer

Where can you watch it? Netflix

What is it about? “Hawaiian teen Bethany Hamilton bravely returns to competitive surfing after losing her left arm in a vicious shark attack.” It is also based on a true story.

How does it relate to Thanksgiving? In our lives, we take a lot of things for granted—especially having two working hands. This movie reminds me to appreciate a lot of those things.

7. The Impossible

Where can you watch it? Netflix

What is it about? “Tracking one family’s harrowing experiences, this drama depicts the chaos generated by the massive 2004 tsunami in Southeast Asia.”

How does it relate to Thanksgiving? This is yet another movie that isn’t directly related to Thanksgiving, but it reminds us to appreciate the people and things that we have around us. I remember watching this movie in theaters. As soon as it finished, I raced home and hugged my parents and siblings.

8. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Where can you watch it? Netflix

What is it about? “They bravely defied the Nazis—with books. Now a spirited writer takes a life-changing journey as she tells their tales.” It is based on the epistolary novel by Mary Ann Schaffer and Annie Barrows.

How does it relate to Thanksgiving? The Nazis took away their cattle and forced them to eat and grow only potatoes. Sneakily, they are able to have a roast pig dinner. Their book club was created to dodge punishment from the Germans. I think there is a lesson to be grateful for a lot of things throughout this book and movie.

9. A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving

Where can you watch it? This is usually an annual special on ABC Television, but it will be moved to AppleTV+ this year.

What is it about? Charlie Brown and his friends tell the story of the pilgrims and their journey on the Mayflower.

How does it relate to Thanksgiving? It literally tells us the history of Thanksgiving and why we celebrate it.

10. Garfield’s Thanksgiving

Where can you watch it? Buy on Amazon Prime

What is it about? Garfield thinks Thanksgiving is a celebration of food. However, recommendations from the veterinarian are about to sabotage his plans.

How does it relate to Thanksgiving? Garfield episodes always give a funny twist to the reality of our world. This is his explanation of Thanksgiving, and it is always worth watching.

Just like Christmas isn’t about the presents, Thanksgiving isn’t about the food. Dig deep into your heart to find the things you’re thankful for this Thanksgiving week. And if you choose to dig deep into your Thanksgiving dinner, at least recognize how blessed you are to have a full table of food.

A couple making a heart at sunset
Photo by Mayur Gala from Unsplash

Cheyenne Halberg is a student at Winona State University with a major in Communication Arts and Literature Teaching. She is from the outskirts of St. Cloud, MN. Cheyenne enjoys writing to express herself and empowering others to do what they love. Her hobbies include spending time with friends and family, watching football, spending time outdoors, crafting and writing. Her life goal is to leave an impression on the next generations that allows them to embrace their unique qualities.