#TBT The Struggle of Creating Your AIM Messenger Screen Name

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

So let’s bring it back to 2006. You get off the school bus and sit at your family’s desktop computer. You pull up AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) and immediately start chatting with your besties about how good your crushes hair looked today or what color A&F polos you and your friends were going to coordinate to wear tomorrow.

But before all of this came along, you had to set up your infamous AIM account. To this day, one of the most thought about and personal pieces of your childhood was your AIM screen name.

Do I include my dog’s name?

My favorite color?

I play a sport! Okay! Yeah! I’ll Include that!

I’ll go with BlueEyedDancer

DANG IT. Somebody already has that screen name…

I’ll just add some numbers to the end. Do I do my age? My graduation year (which is in 6 years)? My zip code?

BlueEyedDancer2012. Yay! It worked!

Now I have to add my friends to my buddy list!

Chatting is so much fun OMG LOL JK

Okay so my crush is online, I have to put up an away message so he’ll think I’m actually away so then he can message me. But I’m just gonna sit here while I text on my Motorola RAZR.

As embarrassing as your screen name was, you still remember it to this day and wonder why on Earth you ever thought it was a good idea.

Now thinking back, your AIM screen name seems so embarrassing and is a piece of you that you wish you could forget. Being a millennial, AIM was the start to our social media dependency, and it was the title that our peers knew us as.

Today, kids will never know what it was like to take over the landline while connected to AIM, how important it was to sign off when you weren’t physically sitting at the computer, and that Siri can’t even compare to the good ol’ days of the little yellow running man on AIM.

Haley Anderson graduated from Winona State University with a degree in mass communication: public relations and a minor in marketing. Haley is a firm believer that a shopping trip at Target, a peppermint mocha, and a quick stop at Chipotle can solve all of her problems. She enjoys traveling, jamming out to the newest hits on the radio with friends, trying out happy hours at local bars and restaurants, and pinning outfit ideas and dream travel destinations on Pinterest.
Hannah Ingebrand is a Winona State University graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Public Relations and a Psychology minor. Hannah is equal parts homebody and adventurer. She craves travel and her heart was left in Paris years ago. She is in love with love, handwritten letters and all. Hannah believes in making meaningful connections with people and embracing different cultures. Her obsession with Pinterest only fuels her love for polar bears, French bulldogs, and all things fashion.