Tales from a Sometimes Drinker: World Bartender Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

In honor of World Bartender day, I’m going to reveal my favorite drinks to make at home. When I drink alcohol, I prefer something sweet that doesn’t taste like mouthwash. I’m not a heavy drinker by any means, but there’s nothing better than a drink after a long day. It also helps that these drinks are easy for a beginner at-home bartender like myself.

1. Amaretto Sour

1. This is by far my favorite drink to make. It reminds me of a kiddie cocktail while still getting me tipsy enough after one drink. Most recipes use lemon juice for this drink, but I prefer Squirt. You can substitute any lemon-lime soda of your choice. 
  2. Recipe:
    1. 1 can of Squirt, 1- 2 oz Amaretto, and a splash of sweet n sour mix
    2. Pour about a shot or so of amaretto in your chosen beverage container with some ice
    3. Add the Squirt then your desired amount of sweet n sour mix
    4. Make sure you try your drink to make sure it’s not too strong and adjust to your preference.

2. Vodka Strawberry Lemonade

1. This recipe is pretty self-explanatory. It’s great on a hot summer day, and the ingredients are pretty cheap.
  2. Recipe: 
    1. Lemonade of your choice (I use Minute Maid), a splash of grenadine, 1 oz Vodka
    2. Pour your 1 oz of Vodka into a cup with ice. A little bit will go a long way, so wait to add any more until you’ve tasted the end product.
    3. Add your lemonade, filling the cup about ¾ full
    4. Top off your grenadine and mix your drink
    5. Taste to get your desired preference. I know the first time I made this I added way too much vodka

These are just some simple drinks that I can make on the fly with stuff I have on hand. Feel free to try them out on a day where you really need a tasty drink as long as you’re 21 and over. 

Hi, I'm Isabella. I'm an aspiring writer and an avid reader. I'm most at home reading a new book with my dogs by my side. I'm just starting out at Winona this year as a Senior and it's already turning out to be a good year.
Cheyenne Halberg is a student at Winona State University with a major in Communication Arts and Literature Teaching. She is from the outskirts of St. Cloud, MN. Cheyenne enjoys writing to express herself and empowering others to do what they love. Her hobbies include spending time with friends and family, watching football, spending time outdoors, crafting and writing. Her life goal is to leave an impression on the next generations that allows them to embrace their unique qualities.