The Struggles Of Swimsuit Shopping From A Minnesota Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Swimsuit season is upon us, or is it? You never really know when you live in Minnesota. Swimsuits have graced the racks of your favorite stores while the weather grants you endless sunshine or two feet of snow on your car. Weather can really be unpredictable anywhere you go, but no matter what the weather’s like outside, you know everyone is shopping for swimsuits NOW. You are ready to find a suit for your own, but you know the struggle is about to get real…

1. The unpredictable weather of Minnesota has you sometimes changing out of many layers just to try on a bikini…

2. Reading the little hygiene liner in the swimsuit bottoms and hoping everyone has listened to it…

3. That awkward look you give when the cashier points out you are buying a small top and an x-large bottom…

4. Realizing a name brand swimsuit is out of the question unless you can cough up $40 just for the bottom…

5. Finding that happy medium between no support and “inflata-boobs”…

6. Finding that super cute swimsuit you just can’t take your eyes off of and realizing it will cause you major tan line problems later…

7. Online swimsuit shopping is a shot in the dark…

8. Obsessing over the cutest swimsuit ever just to realize your size is non-existent…

9. Having to jump and wiggle just to make sure everything will be secure…

10. After trying on 20 different suits, in 10 different stores, all in one day… you feel hopeless…

11. … until you find one that makes you say, “Damn, I look hot!”

Swimsuit shopping has proven to be difficult, but in the end, it is about how YOU feel and not what others think of you. Take some risks, try on swimsuits that don’t seem your style and you might just be surprised.

Meet our Campus Correspondent Mariah Mrotek! Originally from Racine, Mariah is a Mass Communication Advertising major with a Professional Writing Minor. You can usually catch Mariah loving up the cats at the local Winona Area Humane Society or getting her last minute shopping fix at Target. She is an avid writer and believer in the power of intuition. As an advocate for the Minnesota Epilepsy Foundation, she strives for change. She really enjoys the fall season and the amazing honeycrisp apples it brings. Her ideal place to vacation at is a cabin up north by the lake. Mariah hopes to continue to see and enjoy the world’s beauty after graduation as she pursues a career in Social Media Content Management or Project Management.
Hannah Ingebrand is a Winona State University graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Public Relations and a Psychology minor. Hannah is equal parts homebody and adventurer. She craves travel and her heart was left in Paris years ago. She is in love with love, handwritten letters and all. Hannah believes in making meaningful connections with people and embracing different cultures. Her obsession with Pinterest only fuels her love for polar bears, French bulldogs, and all things fashion.