Spring Cleaning Your Home…& Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

The seasons are changing; well, at least, us Warriors hope so. Spring is a time of growth and transformation. That evolution does not have to just apply to the nature that surrounds us, it can change us, too. As March 20, the first day of spring, rolls by, take the time to spring clean, not only your home but also your life.

Physically cleaning up the space around you is a great first step to transforming the way you live and your mindset. Take everything out of your closet and create piles on your bed. In the first pile, put all of your heavy winter clothes that you can take home or store. The second pile should be devoted to clothes that fit the spring and summer seasons. All of the clothes left in this pile should make you feel good about yourself when you put them on, why keep it if it’s not comfy, or makes you feel like the rock star you are? The third pile is all of the pieces that could use a second home, maybe it’s that pair of jeans that just don’t fit or the booties that are just a little to high for your liking. Donating these items to someone who needs them will make you feel good. Just like your closet, clean out the rest of your room in a similar fashion. Pack up what you don’t currently need or use and donate what you no longer want.

Now that your physical space is tidied up you have more room to breathe, you will be able to focus more clearly, and you will feel more productive, trust me. Now comes cleaning up your digital space. For better or for worse, our lives are growing ever more digital. Thus, this part of our life can become cluttered, too. Take a look at your desktop, does it stress you out, because it shouldn’t. Sort miscellaneous files into labeled folders. Delete old documents and pictures. Also, take this time to backup your files on an external hard drive; it would be a shame to lose all of your hard work. A cleaned up computer will help your daily work run smoother and be more organized. While you are cleaning up your virtual spaces, head over to your social media platforms. Clean up your friends lists, take down those old photos you don’t want a future employer seeing, and delete all of your passive aggressive tweets from high school. While this is a process, you will feel better streamlining your profiles and keeping only what truly represents you.

Finally, comes the hardest but arguably most rewarding part of the spring cleaning process. It is time to clean out your mind. A new season is a perfect time to unleash a new mindset. Let things go, write that apology note you’ve been meaning to, finish that task that has been bothering you, or tell that person that you are thinking about how you really feel. Clean out the stress that is eating away at you, address what you can and move past the rest. Everyone will have to tackle his or her own minds differently but take the time to do so. Whether you meditate, listen to music, or go for a walk, take the time to listen to your own inner voice. You will feel better when you know you aren’t dwelling on things.

Spring cleaning calls for more than just vacuuming and scrubbing, this year work to declutter your digital and mental space, too. Slowly but surely you will feel renewed. Happy spring Warriors!

Hannah Ingebrand is a Winona State University graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Public Relations and a Psychology minor. Hannah is equal parts homebody and adventurer. She craves travel and her heart was left in Paris years ago. She is in love with love, handwritten letters and all. Hannah believes in making meaningful connections with people and embracing different cultures. Her obsession with Pinterest only fuels her love for polar bears, French bulldogs, and all things fashion.