neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Senior Advice to Freshmen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Hey Freshmen, Welcome to Campus! To help you start out on your new and exciting journey, here are some pieces of advice from your fellow Seniors:

Hailey Deschaine 

“Find what you love and pursue what makes you happy. A lot can happen in four years of college but it goes quicker than you think so make the best of it!”

Cory Carlson

“Your time here will fly by so be sure to enjoy it and the professors at WSU are incredible so learn as much as you can from them.”

Kierstin Johansen 

“Participate in everything you can in your social life or in school because this is your time to make memories and try new things!”

Jordan Hiben 

“I highly recommend studying abroad.”

Zack Melbostad

“If you thought 4 years of high school went fast, prepare for these college years to go even faster. These are some of the best years of your life so make sure to enjoy them!”

Erynn Olson

“Get to know a few people in your class so that you can go to them if you have questions or study together before exams.”

Jaime Forrest

“Get involved in everything you can and don’t be afraid to put yourself out there! College is the time to find yourself and figure out who you want to be.”

Charlie Koontz 

“Freshman year can be your best one if you’re outgoing and not in your dorm room alone all day. Go out and meet new people.”

Chloe Bryant

“My advice to freshmen is to be brave and talk to everyone, no matter what year in college they are. College is the perfect time to find out what qualities you want in the people you hang out with and which friendships are worth keeping. Some of the most meaningful relationships I have now were made during my first semester of my freshman year in Winona.”

Jack Bergloff

“Use the resources on campus – you paid for them.”

Bridget Nelson

“Stay organized and never stress too much about feeling behind because there’s always someone who feels the same way!”

Luther Burns

“Become active on campus by getting involved with at least one club. Don’t be afraid to meet new people!”

Grace Hughes 

“As a final year college student, my advice to first year students is to 1. Go out of your norm. Join groups and clubs, hang out with people from your area of study – not just the friends that you made during welcome week. 2. Do not slack in your courses. Spend late nights studying to go above and beyond an average grade. Even if you think you will pass an exam, continue to study and go for an A – your GPA will thank you for it in the long run. 3. Take advantage of the things that are offered to you on campus. Do yoga in the IWC every week, play grocery bingo in the dorms, challenge your fellow freshmen to volleyball matches in the courtyard, rent a bike and go down to Lake Winona. Utilize all of the things that are included in your tuition because after all, you are paying for them.”

Rachel Mikel 

“Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone & try new things!”

Brett Miller

“If you have the urge to do something, do it! Nothing is worse than looking back and realizing how much you regret not doing it.”

And my advice: all the above!

Hi, I'm Macy! I'm a junior at Winona State University, persuinng a career in Recreation and Tourism. I spend most of my time with friends and enjoy being outdoors, cooking and watching Greys Anatomy.
I love exploring the outdoors, writing, whales, and have a major sweet tooth for cheesecake! Volleyball and hockey are my favorite sports to play and watch. When it comes to writing, I love it. I truly enjoy being able to write articles and stories about topics people would enjoy reading.