Relay For Life Spring 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Have you ever thought about how many people cancer affects? According to the National Cancer Institute in 2016, an estimated 1,685,210 new cases of cancer will be diagnosed in the United States and 595,690 people will die from the disease. They also say that the most common cancers in 2016 are projected to be breast cancer, lung and bronchus cancer, prostate cancer, colon and rectum cancer, bladder cancer, melanoma of the skin, non-Hodgkin lymphoma, thyroid cancer, kidney and renal pelvis cancer, leukemia, endometrial cancer, and pancreatic cancer. When you stop and think, you don’t realize how many people cancer affects and that it could happen to someone you love.

That is why we have Relay For Life. This is an event that was started by the American Cancer Society in May of 1985 by Dr. Gordy Klatt who walked and ran for 24 hours around a track in Tacoma, Washington. He ultimately raised $27,000 to help the American Cancer Society fight our nation’s biggest health concern. In 1986, 340 supporters joined the overnight event and thus created what we know today as Relay for Life. Relay For Life is an organized, overnight community fundraising walk where teams of people camp out around a track. This event is special because it consists of the Survivors Lap, Luminaria Ceremony, and the Fight Back Ceremony. As stated on the American Cancer Society’s website this is a description of the events that are held during a Relay For Life.

Survivors Lap

During the Survivor’s Lap, all cancer survivors at the event take the first lap around the track, celebrating their victory over cancer while cheered on by the other participants who line the track. Relay For Life events also recognize and celebrate caregivers, who give time, love, and support to their friends, family, neighbors, and coworkers facing cancer.

Luminaria Ceremony

The Luminaria Ceremony takes place after dark, so we can remember people we have lost to cancer, honor people who have fought cancer in the past, and support those whose fight continues. Candles are lit inside of personalized bags and are placed around the Relay track as glowing tributes to those who’ve been affected by cancer.

Fight Back Ceremony

This emotionally powerful ceremony inspires Relay participants to take action. The Fight Back Ceremony symbolizes the emotional commitment each of us can make in the fight against cancer. The action taken represents what we are willing to do for ourselves, for our loved ones, and for our community to fight cancer year-round and to commit to saving lives.

On April 22nd, 2016 Winona State University is once again hosting Relay For Life. As in previous years, it will be hosted in McCown Gymnasium at 6pm. As of this very moment, there are 33 teams that have signed up, there are 421 participants, and there has been $11,279.09 raised.

One student who has participated in Relay for Life since being at Winona State does his hardest to raise as much money as he possibly can. Will Bomchill, a Senior here at Winona State, has so far raised $300. His goal is to raise about $1,000 but that’s not all. While he raises money he does something very unique, he runs around the track as if he is participating in a marathon. His mindset is that if people can donate their money to a good cause, then he can take the time during Relay to work hard for the money he has earned.

During the event there are many clubs that come and set up games and food that you can pay for. At the end of Relay For Life, the money will be donated to the American Cancer Society. For a sneak peek at what to expect, Phi Theta Chi Sorority is selling Toppers pizza for $1 a slice, Delta Phi Epsilon is selling ice cream sundaes, and Tau Kappa Epsilon is going to be selling popcorn.

This event is one that is very close to my heart having lost two of my grandparents to cancer, it is something that you can never quite fully recover from knowing that it was something that couldn’t have been prevented. This is a beautiful event and even if you didn’t raise money for it come to the event on April 22nd and help by playing games, eating food, and being with people who care about the bigger picture. Can’t wait to see you there!

Meet our writer Alyson Rhoades! Originally from Golden Valley, MN and a graduate of Armstrong High School, Alyson is majoing in Mass Communication Advertising. You can usually catch Alyson belting out songs in her car or getting her coffee fix at Caribou Coffee. She is an avid photographer and believes that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Every year she does the walk for Alzheimers hoping one day to find a cure for an awful disease. She loves to travel and hopes to one day to travel to countries outside of the U.S. Her ideal place to go on vacation is the beach in Florida, which she gets to do every year during Thanksgiving break. Alyson hopes to continue to work hard to be the change she wishes to see in the world as she pursues a career as a Creative Director within the advertising world.
Hannah Ingebrand is a Winona State University graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Public Relations and a Psychology minor. Hannah is equal parts homebody and adventurer. She craves travel and her heart was left in Paris years ago. She is in love with love, handwritten letters and all. Hannah believes in making meaningful connections with people and embracing different cultures. Her obsession with Pinterest only fuels her love for polar bears, French bulldogs, and all things fashion.