Life > Experiences

The Real Valentine’s Day for True Queens: Galentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

In my mind, there are many different opinions when it comes to Valentine’s Day, but I believe, overall, it’s what you make of it. Valentine’s Day should be seen as celebrating the love you have for anyone in your life who makes a difference, not just a boyfriend or girlfriend. 

Single or not, it is a day to appreciate your loved ones just a little bit more. I’ve been single for quite some time because as my dad says, men are a waste of time. By now, I am used to not having a significant other to celebrate Valentine’s Day with. Luckily, though, I’ve been blessed to have amazing gals in my life, allowing Feb. 13 (also known as Galentine’s Day) to be one highlight of 2020. 

I recommend all gals to take advantage of this day to show your appreciation to the girls who have had your back through thick and thin and were there to help you laugh away the tears when that one boy broke your heart. 

There are many routes you can use to show your love and appreciation for your best friends, which is simply spending time together or buying each other a ‘lil something something. Enjoy a game night together, treat yourselves to the combo of a mani & pedi, or be creative with hosting a paint night. Most activities, regardless of what they are, are enjoyable when you’re surrounded by your girls. Order food in or go out to a fancy restaurant and order just dessert for once. 

I believe quality time together is better than anything that can be wrapped because life is short and you never know when you will have your last conversation with someone. Sometimes, though, spoiling your friend on this day can be fun, like surprising them with their favorite Caribou Coffee drink or buying them a stuffed animal because they might have no one else to cuddle with that night. Little gifts usually hold a bigger meaning, so don’t feel pressured to be broke and single. 

One Galentine’s Day was very special to me thanks to Madison. My best friend, Madison Grove, is obsessed with the show Parks and Recreation. It introduced Galentine’s Day to me when one of the main characters Leslie brought the idea to life. So, Madison and I celebrated by getting our nails done because it always boosts our self-esteems when our nails are done all pretty. Then, we went back to my house to have a Disney movie marathon with all our favorite snacks. This was a memorable and fun way to celebrate my best friend on Galentine’s Day. 

Enjoy Galentine’s Day, ladies, because this is a day just for us! Appreciate the people who have been there for you while they are still here. Happy Galentine’s! 

My name is Katie Rodmyre! This is my second year in Her Campus as a sophomore majoring in English. I hope that one day I am shaping the young minds of high schoolers teaching English. I fill my time studying in the library, working as a nanny & a waitress, and lastly hanging with friends. I really hope you enjoy my thoughts, and experiences.