This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

February 17 is Random Acts of Kindness Day, so it is the perfect time to come up with a few ideas to show others goodwill. We often get caught up in our own personal lives and forget to take a step back and appreciate the little things. An infinite amount of kindness can be spread each day, and one by one, you can make the world a little better. Here are a few random acts of kindness you can do for others.

1. Pick up litter on the beach

A little goes a long way when you pick up even a single wrapper on the beach. Imagine saving a sweet turtle because of your actions. Show some kindness to your environment by taking care of it.

2. Give compliments

Nothing feels better than receiving a compliment from your friend, or even a stranger. Giving compliments to others will not only make them smile, but radiate positive energy around you. Saying something simple like, “I like your shoes,” can turn someone’s mood right around.

3. Donate to food shelves

Not only will you be organizing your pantry, but you will be giving to a good cause. Food shelves are possible because of people who donate. Just think, this food will go to feed another person somewhere else. Sometimes, being anonymous can be more satisfying than receiving credit.

4. Hold the door for someone

This is one of the simplest things you can do as a random act of kindness that makes such a difference. When you are walking into a building or room, take a few seconds to do something nice for someone else. Whenever a stranger holds the door for me, I always thank them and show gratitude because I know they took that time to show me kindness.

5. Bake for a friend or neighbor

This is the sweetest act of kindness you can give to someone else. Baking can not only be therapeutic, but fun and exciting as well. Not to mention that your house will smell delicious afterward. You will surely make someone’s day a little better by showing them kindness through baking.

6. Smile at someone

Smiling at another person can improve your own mental health as well bring goodwill to others. It creates positive energy in the space around you and that small gesture can really turn someone else’s day around. 

7. Leave a nice note on a mirror

Finding cute notes in random places will certainly make someone’s day. Oftentimes, I see post-it notes on bathroom mirrors with phrases like “you’re beautiful,” “you’re worth it,” or “you’re loved.” I just want to give the person who posted the note a hug and have them feel as good as they made me feel.

Notice how none of these acts require any money, just a little bit of your time. Showing kindness towards others does not need to be expensive or time consuming. They can be small and simple if you choose. Either way, these random acts of kindness go a long way. You have the power to radiate positivity and spread kindness to those around you. Random Acts of Kindness Day may only be one day a year, but making it a daily habit to do one nice thing for someone else can truly build your character and make you and those around you happy.

Maiah Lan

Winona '23