An Open Letter To My Mom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Dear mom,

I sit here trying to think about what to write down in this letter, because I don’t think a letter does enough justice to everything you have done for me in my short 20 years of life.

To start I want to thank you. Thank you for teaching me how to always be a better version of myself, thank you for letting me cry for no reason, thank your for letting me throw a tantrum without loving me any less after I regretted everything I said. Thank you for teaching me how to follow my faith, not based on a religion, but based on morals and values. Thank you for letting me borrow/steal your clothes since I was little, thank you for always making me feel like the most beautiful girl in the world, and thank you for helping me believe in myself. I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for you.

Now, I want to apologize. I apologize for all those sleepless nights, I apologize for making you cry and I apologize for being ungrateful at times. I apologize for saying that I didn’t like the food you made, I apologize for not cleaning up after myself. I apologize for not making you proud sometimes, I apologize for those drunken tears I had from time to time, and I apologize for sometimes not loving you as much as you love me.

You are the most beautiful human being that I have ever met. You are not only beautiful on the outside; you are the most kind-hearted, selfless, loving, and caring woman on the planet. When I grow up, I want to be just like you, because having my kids feel about me the way I feel about you would be priceless. Mom, saying that having you as my support system is more than enough is an understatement. I feel like I can achieve anything just because of you, and if I start to doubt myself, and I cry those tears we both know very well, I pick up the phone and in a minute you make me feel like a superwoman that can conquer the world.

Mom, I love you more than I say sometimes. You are my biggest asset, my biggest fan, and everything I hope to be someday. Thank you for being an outstanding example of what a woman should be.

I love you more than you love wine and chocolate,

Me

Anacorina Velasco, better known as Cora, is a passionate international student at Winona State University. She flew all the way from Venezuela to make some lemonade with the lemons life gave her. You can find her giving campus tours, at the Football field trying to convince the Coaches to let her play, or running around between the security office and her Zumba classes. Cora enjoys a good shot of Espresso, a book that can make her cry, and watching Disney movies, repeatedly.   
Meet our writer Courtney D. Jones! Courtney is a junior at Winona State University majoring in Mass Communications- Advertising. She is consistently busy juggling school, working two jobs, and on the recruitment committee for Sigma Sigma Sigma sorority, so coffee is a necessity. But not just any coffee, it must be Starbucks Blonde Roast, with a dash of peppermint mocha creamer and a fourth of a packet of sugar. She has a die-hard love for all things beauty and fashion, and dreams of owning everything on her Pinterest boards one day. With her bright and bubbly personality, she loves meeting new people and sharing a good laugh. As a Chicago native, her happy place consists of drinking a cold microbrew with her favorite Giordano’s deep-dish pizza while watching her beloved Bears team.