An Ode to Sweatpants: Celebrating International Sweatpants Day Every Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

I don’t know about you, but I seem to celebrate International Sweatpants Day almost daily. That’s why I thought it would be fitting to share this wonderful day of recognition with all of you so you can shamelessly strut your loungewear in celebration of your favorite pair of bottoms (although most of us do that any day, really).

January 21 is the day for sweatpants lovers globally to unite in their love for soft, comfortable pants. Whether you’re a fan of joggers or straight-legged pants, athletic material or cotton, we can all agree that this is a day to join in joyous celebration.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m excited about such a celebration, but then I was stumped wondering, “How, exactly, do we celebrate such a momentous occasion?”

Though I was puzzled, I finally thought what better way to recognize my cotton cords than by using my talents to make my love for them known? And for that reason, I’ve decided to write you a little poem. I hope you’ll enjoy, and be inspired to write your own, or use your own unique talents to further the recognition that our dutiful sweatpants desperately deserve.

I call this one: Ode to Sweatpants

Sweatpants, my companion

My love for you is like a banyan

Broad and full–– never ending.

Never breaking, nor bending

You love me just the same

Sweatpants, my buddy

Though you sometimes can be muddy

Your stains always come out in the wash

How wonderful, my gosh

That you love me just the same

Sweatpants, my partner

I’ve loved you since I was a kindergartener

Even when I was rough,

You were always tough

And loved me just the same

Sweatpants, my soul mate

You make my butt look great

You hug me in all the right ways

And for that, I’ll love you always.

Thank you for loving me just the same.

We truly do have some thanking to do for our sweatpants. They’re there for us in our worst moments. On the greatest and gloomiest of days, sweatpants are always appropriate attire. So remember on January 21 to rock your favorite pair of sweatpants and be thankful for all they’ve done for you.

Brianna Strohbehn is a junior at Winona State University and a small-town girl from central Iowa. Brianna is studying English, double majoring in writing and applied and professional writing with hopes of someday becoming an editor at a publishing firm. When she isn't writing, Brianna enjoys thrifting, reading, exploring her new home in Winona, and spending time with family and friends.
Cheyenne Halberg is a student at Winona State University with a major in Communication Arts and Literature Teaching. She is from the outskirts of St. Cloud, MN. Cheyenne enjoys writing to express herself and empowering others to do what they love. Her hobbies include spending time with friends and family, watching football, spending time outdoors, crafting and writing. Her life goal is to leave an impression on the next generations that allows them to embrace their unique qualities.