This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

It may be surprising to hear that every day in the United States, 2,300 people are reported missing. 

Everyone has a friend, mother, sibling, child, neighbor or co-worker they see every day. No one expects to have them mysteriously and with no explanation to disappear from their lives. It’s a challenging thought. One so difficult to contemplate, it makes it hard to attract the attention of those unfamiliar with the missing person to become involved.” 

Our neighbors and friends need our support to continue the search for missing people and loved ones, to keep getting the word out about this important issue. At the same time, making a plan for your own family by taking simple steps to be educated and aware about missing persons and how you can help is important, too. In today’s technological world, it’s easier than ever to be alert, share their names and pictures to bring them home, and help the families find closure. 

How To Observe 

• For every missing person, support their families by being alert and sharing  information and pictures to help bring them home. 
  • Familiarize yourself with missing faces in your area.
  • Use #NationalMissingPersonsDay to share and circulate on social media to bring awareness around this issue.

Lena Zarate

Winona '22

Lena is in her third year at Winona state University, and she's majoring in social work and minoring in criminal justice and ethnic studies. She hopes to get her master’s degree in social work and hopes to work with at risk youth and juvenile delinquents. In her free time she enjoys watching Netflix, playing rugby, watching true crime, volunteering, and listening to music.
Cheyenne Halberg is a student at Winona State University with a major in Communication Arts and Literature Teaching. She is from the outskirts of St. Cloud, MN. Cheyenne enjoys writing to express herself and empowering others to do what they love. Her hobbies include spending time with friends and family, watching football, spending time outdoors, crafting and writing. Her life goal is to leave an impression on the next generations that allows them to embrace their unique qualities.