This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

We are constantly buried in our phones (and I do mean constantly). Our dependency on technology has become so bad that our ability to communicate with each other face-to-face is fading fast.

It is a pet-peeve of mine when I am trying to have a conversation with someone and they are not paying any attention. Why? Their phone comes first.

Or how about this: You are walking with someone and they just can’t seem to go faster than five steps per minute. Why? Their phone can’t wait.

I try not to use my phone while walking or as a way to fill time when I feel awkward or uncomfortable because I don’t want to give off the impression that I am unapproachable. However, I am not innocent of these things. I, too, am terribly addicted to my devices.

The National Day of Unplugging was recently hosted from March 1-2: 24 hours without a single screen, just like the olden days. This project was put together by Reboot, who came up with this idea based on the idea of the Sabbath. One day to relax, get away, connect with others, and appreciate the world around you. If you take the pledge on the website, they will allow you to download a free tool kit to help you stay true to this challenge. Some people even choose to host an unplug event!

So go ahead! If you want to give your eyes a break, learn to look forward instead of down at a screen, or simply want to prove to yourself that you can do ittake the pledge!

And ask yourself this question: Do you have what it takes to unplug?

Cover, 1

Alexa Jo is a senior at Winona State studying Psychology and Communication Studies. She enjoys learning new skills, getting outside, upcycling clothes, and hanging out with the people she loves. She likes to write stories that are real, raw, and have just a touch of humor. She writes because she believes she has a lot to say, and wants to talk about the things others are scared to talk about. She uses her writing to share her experiences and uplift others. She hopes to one day work for a non profit in campaigns for social change.
| 2018-20 Club President/Campus Correspondent | Hailey Seipel is a senior at Winona State University who is studying Applied & Professional Writing and Journalism. She has been passionate about writing ever since she was little, and a dream of hers is to author poetry, sci-fi and romance novels. Until then, she is interested in working as a creative/blog writer, technical editor or project coordinator after graduating. In her free time, Hailey enjoys listening to music and reading leisurely.