Love Your Melon With Kaitlyn O’Neill

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

You can often find Kaitlyn O’Neill rushing from classroom to classroom in Phelps, in the front row of the bleachers at any given Warrior football game, or even at the wedding shop downtown. From her professional NBA dancing career to being a wedding planning intern, Kaitlyn O’Neill has a full plate. As if that wasn’t enough, O’Neill is now working to promote Love Your Melon, a non-profit organization working to battle childhood cancer. She transferred from the University of Minnesota and loves meeting people and being able to remember their name, a luxury not known at her previous school. 

You seem very involved here around the WSU campus. Tell me a little bit about what you do here in the community?

Well, I am a public relations (PR) major so I’m always running around from class-to-class in Phelps. I am constantly doing homework, doing promotions for Love Your Melon, working out, traveling to every home/away football game, and meeting with groups in the library. I also used to work for Shirley Elaine Weddings in Downtown Winona, too, so I was also using my weekdays and weekends to plan and put together weddings and events!

Tell me more about your role with Love Your Melon

Last spring break, I was chosen to be an Ambassador for Love Your Melon. LYM is a non-profit that is dedicated to their buy one-give one promotion that allows each person that purchases a hat, to donate one to a child in the United States that’s battling cancer. My role as an Ambassador is to promote the LYM brand, coordinate events at Children’s Hospitals, and to plan and take on any other tasks that I think would benefit a child’s life through LYM.

Tell me about your current internship

I recently was lucky enough to land an internship through Mayo Clinic. With my Communications and Media title, I will be involved in everything from escorting media; to writing press releases and articles; to interviewing medical staff; and working behind the scenes with advertising and videos.

Dance seems to be a big part of your life. Can you tell me more about your experience?

Dance is a very strong passion of mine. I started when I was “3-ish” and haven’t stopped since! One thing people may not know is that this will be my 11th year being a dance teacher and it is truly a blessing to be able to share my God-given talents with young, passionate dancers. My freshman year of college, I was also fortunate enough to be chosen to dance for The Minnesota Timberwolves. Being a professional dancer was an amazing experience and I cannot wait to graduate and try out for more teams in the future!

Do you have any plans after college yet?

I have no official plans yet! My boyfriend has officially finalized all his applications for dental school, so I’ll be following him wherever he may move! After I move, I am hoping to land a job in event planning and maybe teach some dance on the side!

Give me three words that describe you

Ambitious, vibrant, and competitive.

What is your favorite social media site?

My favorite social media site has to be Instagram! You can always read tweets and Facebook posts, but you can really tell a person’s character by scrolling through their self-filtered, self-designed pictures! I also enjoy following different businesses and brands on Instagram because I am a visual person. I enjoy seeing their new products and new trends rather than simply just reading about them.

DIY or buy it?

Neither; BARGAIN! Although I do love to DIY furniture and buy my awesome Nate Berkus pieces, my favorite thing to do is thrift shop! Majority of the things you will find in my house are from The Salvation Army or garage sales. There’s just something about chic-vintage items that is so classy to me; nothing beats it!

What is your favorite beverage?

ANYTHING carbonated! I used to be a huge pop and juice drinker, so I found a healthier route; carbonated flavored water. You will never see me without one. But, if I don’t have time to run to the store, I usually will stop at a coffee shop and chug a vanilla latte.

What is your favorite thing about WSU?

Being a transfer student from the University of Minnesota, I feel like I have the ultimate ability to see the wonderful features of WSU. My favorite part of this campus would be to HAVE the ability to remember people’s names. Sounds minor and insignificant, but coming from a school where I had an Econ class of around 700 students, knowing someone’s name means a lot! An intimate school setting is a wonderful thing and something I definitely don’t take for granted!

Tell us a couple fun facts about yourself.

I always have fresh flowers in my house, I have an obsession with wiener dogs (mini dachshunds), I could honestly drink soy sauce, my favorite color is gold (I’m way too young to like silver). I do not mind spending a large wad of cash on lipstick and sushi; both make for a perfect night.

Leave us with your favorite quote

“Life is easier than you think. Just be nice and work hard; that’s it.”

Hanna Leadstrom is a student at Winona State University studying mass communication with an emphasis in public relations and a minor in marketing. You can often find her working out, blogging, sipping on a cup of jo and day dreaming of travel. She enjoys the little things in life and is a firm believer in a "work hard, play hard" life motto.
Miranda is currently a Winona State University senior studying mass communication with an emphasis in advertising and is also pursing a graphic design degree. In addition to being Winona State’s Campus Correspondent, she is also the president of WSU’s Advertising Federation club. When she’s not busy binge watching One Tree Hill for the umpteenth time, you can find her working on her longboards, which she creates from scratch. She is a Diet Coke addict and indie music enthusiast filled with passion and imagination. She plans to get out of chilly Minnesota to find internship opportunities after graduation.