Life > Experiences

Let Me Change Like The Seasons

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

While brainstorming for this article, I was unsure of what to write about, so this is going to be more of a conversational piece. This is a lot different than what I normally write, but I found myself feeling relieved after putting my thoughts onto paper. 

Thanksgiving is a day I don’t rank highly on my ‘Favorite Holidays List.’ Other than making cutout turkeys and decorating them in raindrop feathers, I have not done much over the years for the turkey holiday. I know that it is meant to be a celebration that reflects back on the pilgrims and on gratefulness but I never really felt a deep connection to it, that is, until now.

So many things have changed within the last few months and it has been a lot to adjust to. These changes have been out of my comfort zone and for those that know me, know that I am most comfortable in my little bubble. Friend, family, and relationship changes have left me teetering on a cliff’s edge and I have been struggling to keep my footing.

It is easy to look at things in our lives and pick apart each small inconvenience but now is the time to take a step back, or five. I have been trying to look at my life in terms of seasons. Right now, the leaves are changing and the weather is dropping at night. It rains for an hour and then the droplets turn to ice and flurries flutter from the sky. These changes that are occurring around us are obviously going to impact our moods and each season is different for everyone.

For me, it happens to be sunny and warm one day and then stormy and cold the next. These are things that shift like the weather and I am grateful to experience the changing seasons one day at a time. 

So, though it might be hard to take a step back, I encourage you to look at your seasons and to be thankful for each red and yellow leaf that falls on the pavement.

My name is Emily Venné and I am a junior at Winona State University. I am double majoring in Literature and Language and also Writing Option. When my nose isn't buried in a book, I am either writing, hanging out with friends, or binge-watching my favorite tv shows. I dream of one day working in either publishing or editing, and maybe even writing a book of my own. <3