Kylie Cosmetics Lipkit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

By now, everyone and their mom has heard of Kylie Jenner and her infamous lips. She capitalized on this buzz through creating a Lipkit, and the Kylie Lipkit by Kylie Jenner was born. Kylie created a business, Kylie Cosmetics, under King Kylie, LLC, and that leads all of us, and the internet, to believe there will be a lot more to come from Ms. Jenner, like foundation, eyeliner, and more. Until then, the world is simply trying to get their hands on a Lipkit. Kylie’s website can have upwards of over 100,000 active users at any given time during a product release and will sell out typically within the hour of the launch or as quick as ten minutes.

Each Lipkit contains one matte liquid lipstick and one pencil lip liner. As described on the website, “This ultra-long wearing lip liner has a creamy texture that glides across the lips for a very easy and comfortable application. The lip liner sharpens easily in most standard sized sharpeners…The liquid matte lipstick has high intensity pigment for an instant bold matte lip. The extremely long wearing lipstick contains moisturizing ingredients for a comfortable, emollient and silky feel that does not dry your lips out.” Claims like this, it has to be good, right? But, hype aside, makeup junkies like myself will give a new product one shot to amaze, or it remains in the back of our makeup drawers.

With the help of my fellow makeup adoring friend, I was one of the lucky ones to be able to get my hands on the Kylie Lipkit. Between her and I, we have 22, Koko K, Posie K, Candy K, and Dolce K.

22

This Lipkit shade was a ‘no’ to me at first. On Instagram, it appeared to be this vibrant, bright orange color. I love a subtle orange lip, but this one seemed like a true “ROY G BIV” bold orange. Then I saw 22 in person. The color is a much more true burnt orange in person than all these pictures online. I know it is now spring, so I will not be using this color for a while, but I am oh so happy to have it ready for fall.

Koko K

Koko K, likely named after Khloe Kardashian, is a “your lips, but better” color. The shade holds true to my natural lip color, only amplified. For my pale, cool undertone skin, this shade of Koko K is perfection as a nude lip. Anyone with a cool undertone would appreciate this kind of nude. Not a cool undertone? Still a beautiful nude that will pop a bit more against your neutral to warm skin. Bonus: blue-toned or cool shades make your teeth look whiter!

Posie K

Posie K was the Valentine’s Day Lipkit and named by feedback on an Instagram post from fans. Posie K is a pinker and darker version of Koko K. This would be a bolder lip color on my skin tone for when I want the pink to really pop. This would also be a beautiful pink shade for darker skin tones as well.

Candy K

Candy K was one of the original three shades when the Lipkit first launched late last year. Everyone needs a nude lip, and Candy K fits the bill. I could see this shade working with a broad range of different skin tones, especially neutral, as a go-to nude lip shade.

Dolce K

The warmest color within the nudes, Dolce K is another original shade. This shade embodies the mysterious color Kylie was buzzed about constantly in previous years. And it makes sense, Kylie has a warm, bronzed skin tone that Dolce K would pair wonderfully with. Too warm for me, but perfection for all the people with olive or warm undertones.

Now, I did not keep all these myself, but I used my friend’s Lipkits for this review. Koko K and 22 are my current Lipkits. The other Lipkits I was not able to get are Mary Jo K and True Brown K. If those two are anything like the other Lipkits, they will be equally beautiful. Mary Jo K looks like a true red shade, and True Brown K would be a perfect nude for darker skintones.

I never hopped on the matte liquid lipstick bandwagon until Kylie Cosmetics. All other brands I heard of were too drying, flakey, did not last, or any other reason not better than regular lipstick. I still searched because I wanted the convenience of a liquid lipstick that would stay on my lips throughout the day, while eating and drinking. Since working for Clinique and Estee Lauder Companies, I became accustomed to trying everything new, first and free. Now in college, it has made me extra picky with what I choose to purchase for makeup since I lost the luxury of constant free makeup.

Kylie Cosmetics takes the cake with a 5-star from me. These Lipkits are $30, or $15 for the lipliner and $15 for the matte liquid lipstick, and worth every penny. I put these Lipkits through the ringer and they lasted 12 hours! Not this barely-can-see-them 12 hours; no, a full 12 hours. I ate, drank, talked, brushed my teeth, and napped, and the Lipkit stayed on. They did not dry my lips out at all or become flakey. It barely even felt like there was product on my lips! I would recommend a lip scrub before applying a Lipkit though, chapped lips and a matte liquid lipstick just do not mix. I first applied the lip liner followed by one to two coats of the liquid lipstick. I tried more coats, but that did not work for me and rubbed off easier than a normal application.

I plan on getting Mary Jo K, Posie K, and Kourt K, the new deep purple shade that is not yet released but shown on Instagram (aka taunting me). It will be another fall and winter shade that I know I will be reaching for constantly, along with 22.

Bottom line: love, hate, or anything in-between, the Kardashians/Jenners know how to work with the right people to make great products that consumers are after. Kylie saw the buzz around her lips and did what any smart business woman would do; she capitalized on it. Lipkit by Kylie Cosmetics has been a huge success around the globe that seems like it’s here to stay. I cannot wait to see what Kylie Cosmetics will come out with next.

Photo Sources:

www.kyliecosmetics.com

www.instagram.com/kyliecosmetics/

Meet Nicole Knutson: Originally from Rochester, Minnesota, this senior is majoring in marketing at Winona State University. Between Her Campus, AMA, and classes, she tends to be working at Caribou Coffee while most of you are probably still sleeping, then working for athletics on the weekends. During what seems to be rare spare time, she enjoys being with her friends and roommates, watching her favorite shows or movies, or working out at the IWC. Once post-college life hits, she aspires to move out to a big city to pursue her marketing career. Until then, she loves calling Winona home.
Hannah Ingebrand is a Winona State University graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Public Relations and a Psychology minor. Hannah is equal parts homebody and adventurer. She craves travel and her heart was left in Paris years ago. She is in love with love, handwritten letters and all. Hannah believes in making meaningful connections with people and embracing different cultures. Her obsession with Pinterest only fuels her love for polar bears, French bulldogs, and all things fashion.