Jack Nelson: A Touchdown Pass to Success

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

“Jack has been dribbling, throwing, or kicking a ball since the day he was born. It brings me so many memories. But the kind of person he is showed during his most difficult time, when his friend Deej died. I watched my young ‘boy’, crushed by her death, needing hugs and shoulders to cry on from his Dad and me. But on the day of her funeral, (he was a pallbearer) I watched him be the hugger and the shoulder for his classmates to cry on at the graveside. It was amazing to watch. I saw a young man that I was humbled by and proud to call my son. He comes across quiet, “cool”, tough, but he definitely has a heart as big as the world and feels deeply. He’s a big goofball, especially on Snapchat, from what I hear. I don’t need to see it to believe it, because he was always a goofball at home.”  -Gail Nelson

If you don’t know Jack Thomas Nelson, you have definitely seen him on your Facebook newsfeed or on campus walking from class to practice with that very characteristic smirk of his. Jack is a Junior and the quarterback of the football team. Jack is not your typical movie quarterback; he is a driven, focused, success oriented young man with a bright future ahead of him. Did I mention that he is single? He is an Education major and Mid-Level Social Studies.

Her Campus (HC): Who is Jack?

Jack Nelson (JN): Well, Jack is the quarterback. I am a Junior in school and a Junior on the field.

HC: How long have you been playing football?

JN: I’ve been playing since 4th grade and I’ve always played quarterback.

HC: How did you end up choosing Winona State as the place to continue your football career?

JN: I came here because the coaches invited me for a visit and when I came I fell in love with Winona. I also had a couple of coaches in high school that played for Winona State and they helped me out in making my decision because they loved it so much.

HC: What has been your biggest accomplishment?

JN: Making the team (laughs).

HC: How is your relationship with your teammates?

JN: We are all brothers on this team. I live with some of the players and we all hang out all the time.

HC: What do you want to do after you graduate?

JN: Hopefully continue to play football, if that is a possibility, or maybe get into coaching. I would like to coach here if that is possible.

On his short three years as a student-athlete, Jack has accomplished breaking a few records. First, during the game against Souix Falls he threw the 65th touchdown pass of his career; it was 14-yard touchdown pass to Alan May. A little earlier during the same game, Jack Thomas connected on a 77-yard touchdown to Josh Mikes, this became the 499th completion of his career, and the most completions in the history of our football program. During Jack’s outstanding game, history was made for the Winona State Warriors Football Team.

HC: How do you feel about breaking records at Winona State, and for Division II Football?

JN: Ummm, it’s fun! I guess I will enjoy it more when I’m older; right now I’m just focused on winning football games. I know my mom really enjoys it and so does my dad, so all this is more for them than it is for me. My parents and my sister are my biggest fans.

HC: What is your dream job?

JN: My dream job would be to coach college football. Football has always interested me as a career. I guess anything sports related. It is all I’ve known really and it is what I love.

Jack Nelson has made a name for himself as an outstanding quarterback in Division II Football.

Anacorina Velasco, better known as Cora, is a passionate international student at Winona State University. She flew all the way from Venezuela to make some lemonade with the lemons life gave her. You can find her giving campus tours, at the Football field trying to convince the Coaches to let her play, or running around between the security office and her Zumba classes. Cora enjoys a good shot of Espresso, a book that can make her cry, and watching Disney movies, repeatedly.   
Hannah Ingebrand is a Winona State University graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Public Relations and a Psychology minor. Hannah is equal parts homebody and adventurer. She craves travel and her heart was left in Paris years ago. She is in love with love, handwritten letters and all. Hannah believes in making meaningful connections with people and embracing different cultures. Her obsession with Pinterest only fuels her love for polar bears, French bulldogs, and all things fashion.