International English Language Day: 15 of My Favorite Words in the English Language

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Some words are serious, awkward or just plain interesting and funny to say. Since my Communication Arts and Literature Teaching major involves a lot of English classes, I have had a lot of exposure to unique words. I challenge each of you, in honor of this International English Language Day, to think about your favorite English words. In the meantime, here are 15 of mine!

*All definitions come from the Oxford English Dictionary*

1. Logophile

Noun

“A lover of words.”

2. Flabbergasted 

Verb

“To put (a person) in such confusion that he does not for the moment know what to do or say; to astonish utterly, to confound.”

3. Lollygag

Verb

“To fool around; to ‘neck’; to dawdle, to dally. Also, as n., fooling around.”

4. Absquatulate

Verb

“To abscond, make off.”

5. Bumbershoot

Noun

“An umbrella.”

6. Flibbertigibbet

Noun

“A chattering or gossiping person.”

7. Misanthrope

Noun and Adjective

“A hater of mankind; a person who distrusts and avoids other people.”

8. Alliteration

Noun

“The commencement of adjacent or closely connected words with the same sound or letter.”

9. Loquacious 

Adjective

“Given to much talking; talkative.”

10. Defenestration

Noun

“The action of throwing a person out of a window.”

11. Ethereal

Adjective

“Of or relating to heaven, God, or the gods; heavenly, celestial.”

12. Snickersnee

Noun

“A large knife.”

13. Petrichor

Noun

“A pleasant, distinctive smell frequently accompanying the first rain after a long period of warm, dry weather in certain regions.”

14. Sacrifice

Verb

“To surrender or give up (something) for the attainment of some higher advantage or dearer object.”

15. Love

Noun

“A feeling or disposition of deep affection or fondness for someone, typically arising from a recognition of attractive qualities, from natural affinity, or from sympathy and manifesting itself in concern for the other’s welfare and pleasure in his or her presence.”

While some of these words are silly and others are close to my heart, they are all amongst my favorites. If you are truly bored or you have an affinity of words, like myself, then I suggest whipping out a dictionary and scavenging for new words; it can be a lot of fun!

Cheyenne Halberg is a student at Winona State University with a major in Communication Arts and Literature Teaching. She is from the outskirts of St. Cloud, MN. Cheyenne enjoys writing to express herself and empowering others to do what they love. Her hobbies include spending time with friends and family, watching football, spending time outdoors, crafting and writing. Her life goal is to leave an impression on the next generations that allows them to embrace their unique qualities.
My name is Hannah Hippensteel, and I like to say I'm a Chicago city-slicker, but I'm actually from the 'burbs. I'm currently a senior at Winona State with a major in mass communication-journalism and a minor in sociology. Catch me enjoying all Winona has to offer: the bluffs, the incomparable Bloedow's Bakery, and not to mention, Minnesota boys. With a goal of working at Teen Vogue, Seventeen or Glamour magazine, I'm soaking up every opportunity to keep my finger on the pulse and share my personal voice!